Separation of Broody and her chicks or not?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Chicas Chicks, Aug 30, 2016.

1. Chicas Chicks

Chicas Chicks Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2014
    Andalucia, Spain
    Hi all.

My Spanish neighbour kindly stuck 10 eggs under my broody (No roosters) and they are hatching today.
    I've been on here for ages looking to see whether to separate them or not. Problem being I have nowhere to put them away from the other two. I have fenced off a bit so that Broody can get in and out safely for food and water without the cat visiting but what to do at night when the other two want to roost? Should I just let them get on with it, which is what all my neighbours seem to do? (Nearly all the chickens around here roost in the olive trees).

I suppose I'm a bit worried about how the other two will act with the chicks. My other two are really interested in what is going on and the last one to hatch a couple of hours ago got pulled by one of the others. Would they kill it?

Please feel free to give me a virtual slap and a shake and say stop being over protective. I'm sure my Spanish neighbours would laugh but they're not very sentimental about animals. [​IMG]

This is supposed to be fun!

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Maybe, just to be safe, it might be an idea to keep that separate area for the broody and her chicks. On a night time, the other chickens will roost, while the broody and her chicks will remain on the ground of the coop, so that should be ok.

This is just my experience, but i just let my broody deal with her chicks in the main coop (they free range during the day) and I have never lost a chick to another flock member - mine seem to largely ignore chicks - particularly with a broody mother around.

Take time to observe the interactions between the your other chickens and the chicks. If you feel what you are seeing is aggression, rather than curiosity,(remember that chickens investigate by pecking) then it might be good to keep with the separation until the chicks are older.

Good luck

CT

3. Chicas Chicks

Apr 23, 2014
    Andalucia, Spain
    Thank you.

Will keep them apart through the day and see how things go.

I'm probably just being paranoid. We see some cruel things here in Spain and after 11 years I still have problems. Hence the 3 dogs which are now pets (2 of them dumped by our house as a "present") and the several skinny cats I feed.

CC

4. TheKindaFarmGal

TheKindaFarmGal Overrun With Chickens

May 4, 2016
    Somewhere in the Universe
    Don't separate them. If you do, especially so early on, then if you try to give them back, she might not accept and you will have a problem. I let usually my chicks free range with the rest from Day 1, and they do fine. Make sure she has access to the coop, which she will probably stay in or around for close to a week. The other hens most likely won't bother them, especially with a protective mom around.

5. Chicas Chicks

Apr 23, 2014
    Andalucia, Spain
    Thank you. Just keeping the cat out now.

6. TheKindaFarmGal

TheKindaFarmGal Overrun With Chickens

May 4, 2016
    Somewhere in the Universe
    [​IMG]

7. Flock Leader

Flock Leader Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2012
    Israel
    Here is what I usually do:

When the eggs begin to hatch, I move the broody with her nest into a large cardboard box at home (if you have a secure corner in the coop, it's even better). My hens don't mind this transition if they aren't actually touched.

For the first day or so, the broody and the new chicks remain in the box, with some water and food.

On the next day, I discard any non-hatched eggs (after checking that they don't contain live chicks, of course) and put the nest out on the grass. The broody will tentatively step out with her chicks and walk and peck around a bit. She will also poop. A lot.

I let out the other chickens; usually, they will try to approach the broody and the chicks and are pecked by the mother, after which they keep a respectable distance. I keep an eye out for any violence anyway.

After I see everything's alright, I let the broody and chicks roam the yard with the rest of the flock.

If I have more than one brood at once, I'm especially careful, as chickens can be vicious with another hen's chicks. I've had a case when one hen had black chicks and the other had some black and some yellow, and the black chicks' mother flew at the yellow chicks and killed one of them. She didn't attack the black chicks belonging to the other hen. I guess she thought of the different color as something suspicious.

8. Chicas Chicks

Apr 23, 2014
    Andalucia, Spain
    Thanks.

Will look at integrating everyone tomorrow.
    Sadly I did have on dead chick, but the others are beautiful. Will look at what is left unhatched as you said.
    I may end up with a right mixture as my neighbour gave me some random eggs of different colours and sizes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by