Separation of bullied permanently blind hen

Jun 9, 2021
I have a hen that is blind in one eye from getting pecked and infection. The eye is healed- but she still can’t see. She is getting bullied by my other hens. I would hate for her other eye to lose sight from being pecked. Would it be the best for me to separate her permanently from the flock? I was thinking of making her own coop and run. She can find food and water easily. I know chickens are social animals and need each other but I don’t see how her getting harmed is what’s best. Should I wait longer for her to be accepted? It’s been 1-3 weeks since she was reintroduced. Thanks!

Attachments

• 4DFF03A0-73DE-4A81-ADAE-80E5A4E24F63.png
    4DFF03A0-73DE-4A81-ADAE-80E5A4E24F63.png
    3.6 MB · Views: 5
Poor thing. Can you separate her and give her a buddy?
I don’t think my parents would allow for us to get another chicken. I would love to get another special needs one so they could be buddy’s. I’ll ask, if no, I think she will need supervised time with her old buddy’s to prevent pecking.

given the situation, does separating still seem like the best option? Or should I wait it out?

I don’t think my parents would allow for us to get another chicken. I would love to get another special needs one so they could be buddy’s. I’ll ask, if no, I think she will need supervised time with her old buddy’s to prevent pecking.

given the situation, does separating still seem like the best option? Or should I wait it out?
There's something called "pinless peepers" that you can buy to prevent pecking. Maybe you can separate her with a buddy, and put the pinless peepers on her buddy ?

Back
Top Bottom