Sepastopol Hatching egg price question

Discussion in 'Geese' started by AbbeyRoad, Mar 12, 2014.

1. AbbeyRoad

AbbeyRoad Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2013
    Hope that this is ok to post in this forum. I am not trying to advertise, just want feedback to make sure I am not way out of line.

So, I purchased an established breeding pair of unrelated white curly Sebbies from BYC member. They were in NJ and I am in VA now. I put up a local CL posting for their fertile eggs. I got a very nasty email about how crazy it is that "we" get away with asking ridiculous prices. It continues to blast me for using the work rare, which i didn't. I have worked with true rare animals like the Grand Cayman Blue Iguana that has less than 15 left in the wild. I wouldn't use it haphazardly.

I priced the fertile eggs at the same price as their previous owner at $40/2, $50/3, $60/4 etc. I said a little about how these are nicer geese than other breeds and goslings usually go for $50-100. (note- I didn't say I was selling mine for that).

Am I priced to high for the area? For the breed? Should I stop worrying about the stupid internet troll?

2. DoubletakeFarm

DoubletakeFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2013
    NE Ohio
    Stop worrying about the internet troll. The "worth" of any product is determined by what someone pays for it. If you sell a paperclip for $20, that paperclip becomes worth $20 (to the person that bought it). When I first started selling silkie chicks on Craigslist I was going to list them for $5 a piece (what I think they are worth) but decided to try them at $8 first and figured I would lower the price if nobody bought any. I've sold every chick from every hatch so far. So my chicks are worth $8.

If you find that you don't sell any, then you can lower your price if you like.

1 person likes this.
  3. KYBOY

KYBOY Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Eastern,Kentucky
    Quality items are worth good money. We are blacksmiths/blade smiths. We routinely sell knives for $150+. Most would consider that outrageous but we have a waiting list. That's because they are worth it to our customers. Never mind the trolls. No ones asking them or making them pay for anything..

Last edited: Mar 12, 2014
  4. AbbeyRoad

AbbeyRoad Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2013
    Thanks, That was my gut reaction, but it was starting to eat at me. I have always taken part in more expensive hobbies that people question why you would spend so much money- Saltwater reef tanks, chameleons etc. But personal waterfowl is new to me.

5. RURU

RURU Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2011
    Troy, Missouri
    My Coop
    You ask what you want for your Sebastopol eggs and ignore anyone who says different.. If I sell mine I ask more than that...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by