Sepearating bantams and standards for feeding

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by dixiechik44, Jan 3, 2013.

1. dixiechik44

dixiechik44 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2012
    Vancouver Island
    I need to separate my bantams and standards for feeding purposes so that I can see how much my bantams are eating. (for a 4-H project) Has anyone devised a way to do this? My run in 6 feet tall and 8 feet long and 6 feet wide. (I think) and I have a small coop inside that's 6 feet long and 4 feet tall (my chickens sleep in it and eat in it) So does anyone have a way??? HELLLLPPPPPPP!!!!!! It doesn't matter how big it is, but I'd like to have all my chickens in the same coop. THANK YOUUUUUUU!!!!!

2. aleebama

aleebama Out Of The Brooder

Jan 15, 2012
    Tuscaloosa, Alabama
    What if you caged one of the bantams for a day, kept track of it's food consumption for that day and multiplied it by the total number of bantams? That should give you a rough estimate.

3. HooverHenHouse

HooverHenHouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2012
    Michigan
    Divide your coop, and / or run in half...depending where you feed them, with a temporary fencing.

Or divide you run in half... feed them outside, and at dusk/dark lock them in the coop, then divide them up to repeat again. Depending on how many days you are charting this

4. HooverHenHouse

Apr 26, 2012
    Michigan
    Another idea is to have two cages, cage a lf and a bantam seperatley for two days and chart their food...after two days replace the birds with others..and repeat until you have the data you want.

I say two days (or more) because the stress of being caged may mean they won't eat as normal.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2013
  5. HooverHenHouse

Apr 26, 2012
    Michigan
    If you did the last one I stated you may get to notice a change of quanity of food that each chicken eats..like a silkie verses old English game..hen verses roo..
    Adult verses adolescent would be interesting. If you do it that way write down data of breed, age and gender..it would be interesting.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by