Seperate Cages in Coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by NakedNeck, Apr 29, 2009.

1. NakedNeck

NakedNeck Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2009
    Does anyone have any pictures of their coop that has,lets say a wall with a place where it is sectioned off to separate other chickens? I am thinking of making a wall on one side of the coop that has a separate area for the bantams.

I hope I made sense. [​IMG]
    Thanks! [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 30, 2009
  2. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    I would love to see a photo of this because this is what I want to do too!!

3. SportTees

SportTees Chillin' With My Peeps

Maybe- mine is split down the middle. The double coop is in one cage with a door to the other cage. I don't think I said that right [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Kirtusjon

Kirtusjon Chillin' With My Peeps

I am building a 8X8 coop 4ft high 2 ft off the ground. my run is 120X10.
    When done, it will have 6 nest 16 by 16 , 12 deep and 2 8ft roosts 53 sq ft of coop space after building in a storage room 2.5ft wide 2ft deep and 4ft high. Also there will be a brooder coop built in one corner beside nest, It will be 4ftX2ft 4ft high with a 16 by 16 nest I will send pics as I build.

5. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I do. I have a 3 section breeding pen. The 3 sections are divided with chicken wire and each section has its own covered run.

6. TerriLaChicks

TerriLaChicks Overrun With Chickens

Apr 23, 2008
    Central Louisiana
    If there's any way you all can post a pic--I also need to separate our new coop & run between the year old girls & the new hatchlings for a while, until the hatchlings grow big enough to merge into the old flock.

7. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    I do in the barn, but wont be able to get a picture till morning, I've got 3 sections and a wall of 9 caged/pens. thats in one fo the barns.

8. Sugar Sand Farm

Sugar Sand Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2007
    North Florida
    I do also I have three separate coops inside one building. They each have their own covered run. My coop is 21 feet long and it broken up into three. The runs are 15 feet long by 7 feet wide. I used chicken wire to section it off inside I'll see if I can find a picture

9. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    I have divided pens but they are completely unexciting. I used chickenwire, strung on a frame of 2x4s, to divide my big pen (divider is removeable so it can go back to being a big pen when desired); the pens that used to be indoor dog runs are divided with plastic construction-type mesh fencing strung on metal frames that happen to be the right size, wired into place.

My only attempt at cleverness in all this was to make the big pen's divider have a separate bottom panel that includes a cutout so the two sides can share a waterer. I'm not thrilled with how it works (will rejigger next time I reinstall it, I think I can make it better) and you have to be vigilant that no chicken from Pen A sneaks through the hole to Pen B while you're refilling the waterer [​IMG]

The divided pens each have their own popholes to their own runs or their own halves of a divided run (same sort of divider).

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

10. Grampa with chickens

Grampa with chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2008
    Brooksville, Florida
    This probably won't help you, but I did a small coop per breed with their own runs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by