Seperate flocks by egg color?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by kidsnchicks, Aug 14, 2010.

1. kidsnchicks

kidsnchicks Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2010
    Where we are currently living all our hens are brown egg layers. With a Buff Orpington Roo. Now we may be moving(fingers crossed) and I will be able to expand my flock a bit. I have people asking to buy our eggs once the ladies get started laying. Would it be wise to have a flock of white egg layers? No one has specifically asked what color the eggs are but I know some people can be biased,lol. Im already picturing in my mind a coop idea to keep them seperate if need be. Is this something worth worrying about?

My current flock is 10 hens, RIR, Buff Orps and Black Austerlorps with the Buff roo. What would be a good group for white layers? We live in central IA so heat in the summer and freezing in the winter, its all here! I would love to add a couple more hens to our brown layer group so I could have a dozed of each any suggestions for that also?

Thank you so much

2. Buttercup Chillin

Buttercup Chillin Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2008
    SouthEast TX
    There is no reason to separate the flock unless you are going to raise purebreed breeds. I have blue, brown and white layers together now. I raise purebred Sicilian Buttercups and the rest crosses. I only have the S BC that lay white eggs, so I know that when I collect for hatching, all white egg hatches will be purebred because I only keep S BC Roos.

Now and again I will let a cross Roo grow out then I know all egg hatches will be crosses or I don't collect the white eggs for hatching.

But just to have eggs to sell, there is no need to have separate hen housing. Most egg layers get along fine together, you will find that most breeds will hang out together, 2 x2x2 (in pairs). So try to have pairs of breeds, that is not always possible when hatching your own eggs, though.

The top white egg layer other than production birds, are the Italian or Mediterranian breeds, Leghorn being the best layer.

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    For white egg layers, just get a McMurray special. ... you could probably drive to pick them up!

Pearl Whites

or

Rainbow Layers

This was the first one I got, but they were all brown egg layers... [​IMG]

4. kidsnchicks

Apr 23, 2010
    Thanks, we have groups of 3 in our brown layers with 1 odd ball but she looks to be a cross of a Black Australorp so she hangs out with them. My kids really want some Americaunas for the green eggs,lol. Im thinking that if I have a total of 2 doz layers give or take that will be plenty for our large family and the people that I know that want to buy them with maybe a few leftover to sell to anyone else.

So 1 Roo for about 20 to 24 hens is ok? Im not really worried about hatching any chicks, he was supposed to be a she and as long as he remains polite then he can stay,lol. With him being from a brown egg line, Buff Orp, it wont affect the color of the eggs from the white egg layers?

Sorry seems that every time someone answers a question I think of more.

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Roos only have influence on the egg color of their daughters.

Get an Ameraucana roo and put him over your brown layers and the pullet chicks could lay green.

6. kidsnchicks

Apr 23, 2010
    Thank you. I guess I will do more white layer research. I do like the sounds of the Pearl birds, they are definately on the list!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by