Seperate housing?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Sissy, May 1, 2009.

1. Sissy

Sissy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Sevier county, Tn.
    Will be having silkies the end of this month. at least im hoping for a good hatch.
    is it necessary for them to have a home to them selves. or can they be mixed in with the rest of the flock that are a year old. all hens.. and what age can they be mixed in?
    any advice?

2. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    They can be mixed in, but you will need to wait for them to be bigger, not good to try and mix them till they are close to the same size. They may be picked on, but look at them could you blame any full blooded chicken for taking a poke or two??? [​IMG] [​IMG]

I have one that was brought up with other chicks, and they do get along, but like all new mixing, be carefull, especially if mixing them in with older/bigger chickens.

3. LunaGirl

LunaGirl Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2008
    I actually have to keep my silkies separate from my remaining flock which consists of RIRs, Polish and other larger breeds. They were together originally but one of the silkies was injured quite badly by the RIR so I separated them along with a half dozen of the smaller hens. Everyone gets along great now that they are separated.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by