1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

seperate mom and chicks from flock? what do u do? How

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kingsfarm, Nov 23, 2011.

1. kingsfarm

kingsfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    A lot of question but often asked...what to you do...Just let ma ma do the "everything"? is it necessary to add chick feed for them? will they survive without it? what did they do in the old days? They only threw out whole corn ?

2. RioLindoAz

RioLindoAz Sleeping

Jul 8, 2007
    Yuma, Arizona
    Quote:I would keep them in a separate pen near the flock until the chicks are at least 4 weeks old. Yes, you will need to provide chick starter for momma and the babies.
    Back then, they would let all chickens free range, so everyone had plenty of access to food and plenty of space for mother hens to get away from the flock.

3. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Hi, I would leave the chicks with ma, at some point they lose interest in eachother. It's okay for the hen to eat chick food. It's higher in protein, and she can go without the higher calcium till she lays eggs. Chick feed does have some calcium in it.

4. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Quote:I agree. [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by