Seperated buttons...

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Bettacreek, Feb 12, 2009.

1. Bettacreek

Bettacreek Overrun With Chickens

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky
    Well, tonight, I seperated the whites from the other three. I just want to make sure that nobody "cross" fertilizes the whites. I haven't had any eggs yet, from anybody, and they're going on 7 weeks. Anyways, after I pulled the two white birds out, somebody from the other tank (two males and one female) is crying incessantly. The one male is going to be removed so that it will be an ivory and a cinnamon pair in there, but I'm wondering why they would care that the whites are missing. The two boys aren't beating on each other, and the crier started almost as soon as I left the room with the whites. What's the deal?

Also, what would cinnamon RB x ivory RB make? I'm assuming maybe some regular RB's, ivory RB's and cinnamon RB's. I remember BQH, you said that the ivory is a cinnamon x slate.

And, with the whites being seperated, and once I get the extra male out of the other tank, will that speed up the process of egg laying since they'll be more comfortable?

2. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Quote:probably [​IMG] lol *no help here lol*

3. Bettacreek

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky
    Scratch what I said earlier. It's actually a really loud "pew, pew" noise, like a peep, but ungodly loud.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2009
  4. Bettacreek

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky
    Here, the noise this button is making is the noise mine were making...

5. duckncover

duckncover Duck Obsessed

Jan 17, 2009
    North Eastern PA
    Mine makes that sound and she's a hen.

ETA: It may have been the male when he was alive.

6. Mojo Chick'n

Mojo Chick'n Empress of Chickenville

Both of my boys do that, it's funny - but that is their "crow" I believe.

Someone is feeling rather Manly [​IMG]

It sounds like someone laughing, and it makes me and hubby laugh every time they "go off" in the sewing room.

meri

7. monarc23

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    that PEW is the crow [​IMG] thats a happy roo (hens someimes do it but rarely

they're probably displaying their new found dominance in their cage [​IMG]

8. ButtonQuailHeaven

ButtonQuailHeaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2009
    Michigan
    That is a contact call. They know their friend is not there anymore and they are trying to call them back. They will get over it in a bit. Boths males and females do it. Ivory is a mix of Silver and Cinnamon. Slate is a mix of Blue Face and Silver. You should get some nice babies out of that pairing. Pretty much the ones you said plus you can always get surprises not knowing their background. Buttons are very mixed with everyone trying for new colors all the time.

9. monarc23

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Quote:Pew is a contact call? Question then! LOL! When i had my male and my hen outdoors for the summer he'd PEW, I always thought it was part of crow song? There was no other buttons just him and his woman. Why did he do that? [​IMG]

10. Bettacreek

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky
    Thanks guys. I wasn't sure if maybe they had established a pair and I had ruined it and was going to cause some type of emotional distress or something, lol.

BQH, if I keep the whites together, and provided that they haven't bred with the others (and, provided that they're actually a pair and reproduce), will I only get whites, or are there other colors that are recessive to the white?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by