Seperated sick chicks...now what? (Please answer ASAP)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by armdchicken, Feb 18, 2012.

1. armdchicken

armdchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2012
    Fairbanks, alaska
    Ok...we got our chicks from the PO and separated the sick/injured ones from the healthy ones...I was wondering a few things...
    What would you recommend feeding the weak chicks?
    There is one chick who is really weak...is there something i can do to help him?
    Also...there is one in there who is limping ...if it is permanent would he survive adult hood? (He is a standard brahma...)

Might have some more questions/concerns...

2. armdchicken

Jan 8, 2012
    Fairbanks, alaska
    Anyone? I will definitely will not be able to sleep until i know i did everything i could...one looks especially weak...

3. armdchicken

Jan 8, 2012
    Fairbanks, alaska
    Oh no! one of the chicks is almost dead [​IMG]! He is barely moving and wont eat or drink...

4. armdchicken

Jan 8, 2012
    Fairbanks, alaska
    Now he is acting like he can hardly breath...[​IMG]

5. armdchicken

Jan 8, 2012
    Fairbanks, alaska
    well...he died [​IMG]...he was the worst of the chicks and hopefully the other three will be ok...

6. Jessie66

Jessie66 Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2011
    Prince George, BC
    Oh, no, I feel so bad for you. So sorry to hear the little guy didn't make it. I hope the other 3 make it. What does the bad leg look like? Is it treatable? The quicker you try to fix it the better the outcome may be. You can try feeding diluted Pedialyte, or Poly vi sol (liquid baby vitamin) by dropper or syringe dripped on its beak. or some hard boiled egg yolk. Search the Forum for feeding weak chick. Hope they will be ok. Sending good vibes your way.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2012
  7. armdchicken

Jan 8, 2012
    Fairbanks, alaska
    Everyone else is doing good...i feel bad for one who can only use one leg...Thanks for the help i will try that

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by