Seperated

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Bring, Sep 8, 2009.

1. Bring

Bring Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2009
    New Mexico
    One of my buff Cochins just started laying on Saturday(yay!). I got my second egg from her yesterday. I've noticed that when I let all eight of my chickens out to free range my layer seperates herself from the rest of the flock. She just goes off on her own. She will regroup if she gets scared but that isn't often. Even when the rest of the flock is frightened and making a b-line back to the coop my laying hen is still out looking for food. She isn't broody at all. Yesterday I heard her version of the egg song. Not what I expected. It wasn't very loud at all but it was a long song. Anyway, why do you think she wants to fly solo?

2. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    My shyest girl often is alone. She's the lowest in the pecking order and prefers to not hang out with the other bossier girls. Keep an eye on your girl though to make sure she's not ill.

3. Bring

Bring Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2009
    New Mexico
    This girl is one of the highest on the pecking order. She doesn't act sick at all. She's alert and chasing grasshoppers. She laid another egg for me today! I wasn't expecting one until tomorrow. That's two in a row. I just looked outside and she is the only one outside of the chicken yard free ranging. Maybe she needs the extra somthing that the grasshoppers give? Maybe the other's are just lazy? I don't know . I will continue to watch her. She's my only layer so I want to keep her safe. who knows how much longer it will take for the others to start laying.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by