1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Seperating breeds,how long do you wait before trying to hatch eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jasonak, Mar 28, 2009.

1. jasonak

jasonak Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2008
    wasilla,AK
    Hi
    I had all my chickens together all winter long and all the diffrent roosters were breeding with all the diffrent hens.I just separated my hens I wanted to breed from the main flock today.How long should I wait before the eggs will no longer be fertile from just any rooster.Also should I have the rooster I want them to breed with in the cage with them now? Does that speed up the process?
    thanks

2. austinhart123

austinhart123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    Los Angeles CA
    i think it speeds up the process..... u will have to wait for like 3 weeks just to be safe though

3. Promiselandfarm

Promiselandfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

According to my agriculture book on fertilization of chickens...10 days is what the agriculture book says on breeding chickens as far as rooster/sperm to hen/egg. Wait for ten days after you have divided up your breeding stock. Hope this helps you

4. austinhart123

austinhart123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    Los Angeles CA
    all i know is that a hen can lay fertile eggs two weeks after the last mating, and a hen can lay fertile eggs four days after bieng introduced to a rooster

5. jasonak

jasonak Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2008
    wasilla,AK
    Thank you both very much for taking the time to reply [​IMG]

Austinhart- How are you rasing chickens in LA? I always joke that a 100 acre ranch right off of the sunset strip is my dream home [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by