1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Seperating Chicks?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chicken_whisperer, Jul 6, 2008.

1. Chicken_whisperer

Chicken_whisperer Out Of The Brooder

Jun 14, 2008
    Michigan
    I had to seperate my 8-week-old chicks because one kept getting attacked and would never get a chance to eat. So I put her and her "Buddy", Kashi, In my room and the rest in a coop. I did this yesterday, and they both haven't stopped crying since.

What do I do? Will they get used to being alone? How long will that take? If not, how do I put them back? Wont the others attack them? I'm sorry for all the questions, but I really need help on this.

Thank you all!

Last edited: Jul 6, 2008
  2. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    The only time I seperate chickens of the same age, is when one is hurt. Let your chickens be chickens. What they were doing is working out who the head chicken will be. By seperating them you have only put off what will happen in the future. Let them work it out. Later today in am add 15 chickens to an area where I have only 12 chickens now. The 2 roos will be the biggest problem, but the hens will fight also.
    It is called natures pecking order.

3. purr

purr Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    east freetown, ma
    How much room do they have , mine were pecking alot till I started letting them out to free range for part of the day.

4. Chicken_whisperer

Chicken_whisperer Out Of The Brooder

Jun 14, 2008
    Michigan
    I put them back together today and they all swarmmed around the two "chicks" who were inside for the night. The "Top Rooster" at this point , started to attack the pullet, "Scooter" (who we removed because she was being attacked). "Kashi" (the pullet keeping Scooter company) had bonded even more to "Scooter" since they've been alone in the box overnight, so she defended Scooter and attacked the rooster. She ruffled her feathers, squawked at the rooster (an OEGB bigger than she is) and attacked him. She now does that with ANY of the chickens that peck Scooter! They seem MUCH happier now, and now that Kashi is protecting her, Scooter is FINALLY eating.

They also really appreciate being in the coop, since it is about 3 times as big as their "brooder box". They can finally have room to run around.

We don't have a run yet, so i've been taking them for "Walks" in a pet carrier. They love being in the sunlight and with all the grasshoppers! [​IMG]

Thank you all!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by