Seperating my Rooster

dixiechixs133

Hatching
Oct 18, 2020
Hi, I am new the chickens. My chickens are all about 6 months old. I have 26 hens and 1 rooster. My silkie rooster is the sweetest, he has found his hormones so he likes to mount the hens. My parents are sick of him "molesting the hens" and have decided to pen him seperately. My mom swears she hates fertilized eggs (although I doubt she can tell the difference) but he will be all by himself, he can see the hens but can't reach them. I find this cruel because chickens(even roosters) need interaction. What's everyone's opinions on this? Should I just look to rehome him?

If he's well behaved with the girls there's no reason to separate him. Generally that's done if he's behaving too aggressively, mating pullets that aren't ready or willing, etc.

Also if your mom has ever eaten eggs from a grocery store, or a restaurant, or anything with eggs from any commercial source, she's eaten a few fertilized eggs before, she just hasn't realized it. Some occasional boys do slip into the factory farms and people have successfully hatched grocery store eggs.

I routinely pen cockerel separately here for a few weeks to months. They seem fine as long as they can see the other birds through the fence. If your mom has no intentions of eventually releasing him than he probably is best at a different home.

Back
Top Bottom