Seperating roo?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Littlecimarron18, Feb 14, 2008.

1. Littlecimarron18

Littlecimarron18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    Colorado
    So, Bob my turken roo is the dominant male, but i want to seperate him for a few days so my other roos have a chance of getting their eggs in the bator.
    How can i seperate him with the smallest ammount of stress?[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 14, 2008
  2. Littlecimarron18

Jan 3, 2008
    Colorado
    bump

3. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    You'll have to seperate him for at least 3 weeks to insure the hens have been fertilized by the other roo's.

4. FutureChickenMan

FutureChickenMan Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2007
    how to separate them with least amount of stress? this is how I'd do it.. Go in to the hen house after they've bedded down for the night and are sleeping. If you're quiet enough you should be able to walk right up to him and pick him up. Just use a flash light to light your path not light up the whole room. Even better would be one of those flashlights that have a red lens. If you're afraid he'll flail around when you pick him up, take a big bath towel with you. Right before you try to pick him up, throw the towel over him then scoop him up in the towel.

5. Littlecimarron18

Jan 3, 2008
    Colorado
    Oh sad day, poor bob. I think he will miss his girls.... I dont think i could do that to him.............. will the rate of other males fertilizing increase in 5 days?

6. NewGuineaChooks

NewGuineaChooks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2007
    San Antonio, Texas
    The thing is, If your rooster Bob is doing his job, it is likely that the eggs will have been 'pre-fertilized', as it were, and 3 weeks is how long it takes to be sure that NONE of the eggs will grow Bob-chicks. I don't think there have been any careful studies on how many days it takes to get -some- eggs fertilized by other roos, but not -all-. You may have to be a pioneer here, and let us know your results after an experimnetal hatching.

Alternately, separate Bob and a couple hens to keep him company? ...but that will really throw the dynamics of the entire flock.

7. Littlecimarron18

Jan 3, 2008
    Colorado
    Ok i m gonna seperate bob for a week, and see what my hatch results are

8. Littlecimarron18

Jan 3, 2008
    Colorado
    New plan, i seperated bubbles and a few hens to keep him company, I think bob would have had his feelings hurt bad

this is bubbles
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by