Seperating Roosters or not

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by TicTac, Sep 11, 2010.

1. TicTac

TicTac Out Of The Brooder

Sep 11, 2010
    Kimball, Mn
    Hi All, Well I'm getting ready for winter and have a dalima. This spring I bought a bunch of different breed chicks. For the most part I have 6 breeds: Partridge Cochin Barred and Partridge. Silkies, Salmon Favorelles, Sulten. I have at least two hens to a matching rooster. My thinking is to house the roosters in with my ducks for the winter. (They were raised together and seem to get along well) This way the boys wont fight. Plan is to get them in there breeding pairs come spring. But will the girls reject them come spring? Ive had chickens for 6yrs now and this is the first time trying this method. I know how the girls like to pick there favorite and dont want to go thru all this hassle if the girls need a rooster there for winter to ready them for spring. There is alot of interest in purebred chicks around here so thats why I thought I would try. Normally I pick the nicest rooster out of the bunch and he's the dude for all my girls. But it seems all the matching roosters are really nice and seem to hang out mostly with the same breed hens. So it would be a shame to get rid of them. They are just starting to cockadoodle and chase the girls so I have to act soon. Am I nuts for trying this? [​IMG]S

Last edited: Sep 11, 2010
  2. NellaBean

NellaBean Graceland Farms

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    I keep a rooster pen for my "extra boys". My only problem is making changes once it is established. I put about 30 young roosters in there a few months ago and have been slowly selling off extras. I am down to 9 boys left in there, they get along decently.....some scuffles but no actual injures or major fights so far. Anyways, I have pulled out an extra rooster for a sale....it didn't sell....and after it was out for a few days I was not able to put it back. All the other boys want to kill him now.

I would try it. Stick all the boys together for winter.....maybe leave 1 or 2 out with the girls for protection. If the others will tolerate a rooster pen it will make your life a lot easier.

3. Smoky73

Smoky73 Lyon Master

Feb 8, 2007
    Colorado
    Nope, I just took all my silkie hens yesterday and moved them all to a communal pen, all colors together. I do actually have one white rooster with them but that is only because he will be sold next month and needed a spot for him. All my other roosters are either going to be in cages for the winter or in a communal pen together but without girls. I am leaning toward cages, because I have that set up, but have tossed them all in together. My problem usually is that the roosters of one breed will pick on the other roosters that look different.
    Hens will probably try to take you rroosters on come spring but unless you hasve a wussy roo, he should tell them what for in no time flat.

4. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    No, my boys are naturally separate from the girls. (all the boys have the "bachelor pad" and the girls get free range out in the pasture) From my experience, if anything, once the boys are reintroduced - They'll be even more desperate for the girls, and the girls will seem to just go with the flow.

You're fine. [​IMG]

5. TicTac

TicTac Out Of The Brooder

Sep 11, 2010
    Kimball, Mn
    Thanks guys, Next question, all these guys are about 4months old they do not like my only sultun Roo. He is very smart (more so than the others) very friendly and gentle. Probably why he gets pecked. All my chickens are free range so he dodges most of the other boys. The girls dont mind him and I noticed he even is starting to talk to them when he finds a good bug. Some of the girls have picked out there favorites already and chase this guy off. None of the females have really stood to get bred yet still to young but a few of the other roosters are starting to figure it out. You think I could stick that lone silkie roo in with them for the winter? Oh the drama of chicken life or maybe I just need a life!! Ha [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by