1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Seperating silkies help!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by horsechick, Aug 22, 2008.

1. horsechick

horsechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2007
    Eaton, Ohio
    Hi,
    We are seperating our pens up and trying to get our act together, LOL!
    I was thinking of putting our blue/black/splash silkies together in one pen. Will that work?
    We have whites in another pen.
    I have one red/buff hen-what pen should I put her in or get rid of?
    We have a tortishell roo named Rudy, he's just a handsome fancy extra so, Thought I might keep him in with whites.

Also have a grey hen, which pen should I put her in?
    We don't have a grey roo.
    Thanks for any suggestions,
    Angela

2. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Quote:Keep your B/B/S together. Then have one pen only whites. Then you could put your buff/red hen, your tortishell rooster, and your grey hen in another pen, and those chicks will be mixed color.

3. horsechick

horsechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2007
    Eaton, Ohio
    Thanks for the suggestions.
    If we left our grey hen in with the b/b/s pen what color chicks might she have?
    Thanks,
    Angela

Is there a color chart anywhere that might give what colors you might expect from certain breedings?

Last edited: Aug 22, 2008
  4. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    so seeing this post does it matter what colors are together?

I have 2 greys and 1 black together I'm thinking 2 are hens and 1 roo. Then I have 2 whites together and one black also thinking 2 hens and a roo so is this bad that the colors are mixed?

5. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Learning a lot here...I'm getting silkies soon too [​IMG]

6. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

It does matter because if your colors arent seperated, the chicks will be mixed. The only colors that should be together are black/blue/splash.

7. Teresaann24

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    so grey and and black isnt ok? and what about white and black? how so would the chicks be mixed...with black and white wouldnt some chicks be black and some white?

8. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I think it would result in some white and some black, and some mixed... but the real issue is the hidden genes that you don't see and that can come out in future generations. Which is why if you want one color, keep breeding one color, and don't use off colored breeders or breeders who produce off color chicks.

9. goldensunriseranch

goldensunriseranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Mays Landing NJ
    The only time you will want to cross a color would be to bring up the quality of type in an inferior color with the type of a superior one. For example I have my grey hens in with a nice quality white roo, the chicks come out as greys and are nicer in type than their grey parent. When I finally have a grey cockerel that I think will do the job then I will put him with the greys instead. The rest of my whites are separate with another white rooster. And blue/black/splash are all together. If you can tell which eggs are the grey hen's then I would house her with the whites until you can hatch her out more greys to go with her.
    And I would just put the buff and tort together keeping in mind that their chicks might be off colors.

10. Teresaann24

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    Quote:Ok i get it so the chicks may be black with white spots or white with black spots?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by