Seperation anxiety

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mossyroo, Dec 4, 2014.

1. mossyroo

mossyroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2014
    Mossy Head, FL
    My 9 chicks were getting a little crowded in their one rubber tub brooder so I moved 4 of them to a 2nd tub right next to the 1st - they share a heat lamp. The 5 who stayed settled down pretty quickly but the 4 who were moved were pretty panicked for a while trying to get back to their old haunts. It may not have helped that I wanted to try sand instead of pine shavings for bedding and the ones who got moved were in a very different environment. They eventually seemed to settle down and began scratching and investigating the new area.

2. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    I just went through the same thing. Three or four days ago I split my chicks. They were almost 4 weeks and outgrowing their pen. (12 of them) I have 4 separate inside cages but one belongs to my 2 1/2 month old, so they were split 3 ways. Since all three cages are various sizes the smaller cage has 3, the next 4 and the extra large has 5. They were not happy. The four that were in the original didn't mind that much though one kept calling to the others. I watched for a while and realized I had to change who was where as three of the ones I moved were going ballistic, so I switched them around. they settled after that. I let them out yesterday to change the bedding and most of them took off back to the original cage...lol. They don't care that they have a ton of space now and more roost area to themselves, they just want what is familiar to them....lol. I've got a couple more larger pens coming for the next split, can't wait to see how that goes. They grow way to fast. I'm hoping I can get at least a couple months before the next split. I can tell you I'll be happy to see spring and finish the coop and run so they can get out there! Hopefully I can rehome the roos as soon as I am positive about them to lessen the amount wintering inside for 4 months!

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Best to get a large enough brooder that they all fit in.......or join a couple(or more) together.
    If they are apart for much length of time, they will become separate flocks and you'll have to integrate them back together carefully even tho they lived together before.

4. mossyroo

mossyroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2014
    Mossy Head, FL
    I didn't give them too much chance to form clicks. I kept mixing them up so the same 4 or 5 chicks were not always together. Anyway, they got moved out to the new Big House Saturday. Yesterday I let them out in the run for a little while and they really seemed to enjoy it. One grabbed a dead leaf and had a good rugby match going for a while. At night they get shut in a 4x8x2 box that contains what will be their nest boxes eventually. I have a heat lamp their for them as here in N FL the night time temps are in the 40's right now. Still have to finish putting chicken wire roof on run and work on predator proofing the outside.

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    That's a good idea!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by