1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

seperation pen

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by racepondUSA, Jan 10, 2011.

1. racepondUSA

racepondUSA Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2010
    Racepond
    i need ideas on a design for a small seperation pen for a roo that is being picked on

2. racepondUSA

Oct 13, 2010
    Racepond
    pics would be apperciated also

3. racepondUSA

Oct 13, 2010
    Racepond
    anyone have any ideas

4. MamaChic21

MamaChic21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2010
    Jackson, NJ
    I know I saw a threat here recently about breeding, seperate coops and pens but I can't seem to find it now. Check the threads here, if I find it, I will post it to you.

5. racepondUSA

Oct 13, 2010
    Racepond
    thanks

6. MamaChic21

Dec 2, 2010
    Jackson, NJ
    how many chicken do you have or planning to have ? Or how many breeds I should ask ?

7. Bonnie Gentry

Bonnie Gentry Out Of The Brooder

Dec 31, 2010
    guyton
    Quote:Could he free range or are you where that is not possible? I have some chickens in a coop/fenced pen and I have a few chickens and couple of roos I let run free. The free ones roost up in the rafters of my barn at night the natural warmth from the horses in the stalls keep it pretty cdozy for them. Maybe your picked on roo could rule another roost:yiipchick
    another thing I have is what I call my hospital pen, made from a dog kennel pen, it is about 6' x 6', only drawback is you can't stand up in it when you go in you have to crouch. I put chicken wire over the top to keep the chickens in and preditors out. it has a roost and heat lamp works well for temporary guest.

8. MamaChic21

Dec 2, 2010
    Jackson, NJ
  9. bburn

bburn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    Delaware, Arkansas
    I simply made a corner in the big run and put wire up and everything...including a gate to get in. That was for the cochin. Then I found him a couple of girls and things are cosy in the cochin corner.
    For the Barred Rock rooster we ended up making a large run and I found him some girls. Then my DH finally gave in and added on to the big coop for the BR flock. Yeah me.
    So, now I have the original coop and run with the mixed flock.
    A corner in the large run that is the cochin corner and in the spring DH said he would build me ONE MORE large run and coop and that was IT....no more.
    And attached to the original coop is the BR's so that made a duplex coop with their own large run.

Chicken math is grand!

10. racepondUSA

Oct 13, 2010
    Racepond
    Quote:i already have chickens 6 polish, 10 oegb, 5 wellsummer, 4 cochin, 6 americana, 7 RIR, and 12-14 american grey game freeranging.
    thats not counting pefowl, guinea fowl, ducks, turkey, and a few feeranging mixbreed chickens but as far as the pen i just need a some simple plans to make a simple pen to put a rooster in temporarily

Last edited: Jan 11, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by