Sept. 13 chick arrival! anyone else expecting chicks a little late?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Cha Cha Chicken, Jul 24, 2011.

1. Cha Cha Chicken

Cha Cha Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2010
    I'm expecting a new batch of chicks (6) on the week of September 13 from MPC![​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I know that it's very late in the season, but is anyone else expecting chicks around then?

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Me, too. I'm calling in an order tomorrow from Murray McMurray or Meyer. Minimum of 25 order, of course. Decided to go with 13 Cornish X and 12 females of 6 different varieties. A little nervous about when they will be able to have the entire order ready...guess everything depends on hatching dates...just hope it isn't too late. Not worried about the Cornish - they be ready for the freezer soon enough. Just want to the girls to have enough feathers and weight to make it through the Kansas winter! Good luck with yours!

3. CountryBumpkin2011

CountryBumpkin2011 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 7, 2011
    Aurora, CO
    YAY! Mine should be here around Aug 2-4th. I ordered 6 barred rocks from meyers, I am so excited! I am a total newbie, so I wanted to have the coop finished before they get here so that I can focus just on the little puff balls. I live in Colorado, so I am hoping they can get all of their feathers in and be transitioned to the coop before it starts getting cold. fingers crossed! [​IMG]

4. Cha Cha Chicken

Cha Cha Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2010
    Great! I decided to go with 6 different breeds: 1 Bantam Barred rock , 1 Buff Laced Polish, 1 Australorp, 1 Golden Campine, 1 Speckled Sussex, 1 Gold Laced Polish. Can't wait![​IMG]
    oh, And I am in Colorado too!

Last edited: Jul 26, 2011
  5. colby318

colby318 got 'dottes?

Jul 14, 2008
    Stamping Ground, KY
    I've bought chicks in November from Stromberg's. They all did great.

6. lroth217

lroth217 Out Of The Brooder

May 29, 2011
    Lemont, IL
    Me!! Me!! I ordered from MPC and they should ship out September 12 and if all goes like my last order from them they should arrive on Sept. 13.

I ordered:

1 Australorp female
    1 Black Silkie female
    1 Columbian Wyandotte female
    1 Easter Egger female
    1 Partridge Plymouth Rock female
    1 Salmon Faverolle female
    1 Salmon Faverolle MALE My first Roo!!!
    1 Speckled Sussex female

If all (including the weather) goes according to plan they should be in the coop and acclimated before the cold weather sets in. Unless it gets cold early this year!!

7. watchdogps

watchdogps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Central Ohio
    I dont want to hijack the thread, but I was just about to pose this question - how late is too late to hatch chicks? I wont be doing it this year, but was curious. I'm getting chickens next week, but they are about 8 weeks old. I do plan to try to let them hatch some out next year.
    We are in Ohio, what would be the latest hatch date that would be reasonable?

8. Bantam Chase

Bantam Chase Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2011
    SC PA
    I"ll have chicks by then, too... ordering hatching eggs that should give me chicks by mid/late september.

Years ago I had a september batch, raised them in the house for a few weeks and then moved to a coop with a heat lamp. By late fall / early winter they did not need the lamp. You could hatch eggs in december if you wanted but you'd need to take precautions that the young birds would not get chilled.

9. lroth217

lroth217 Out Of The Brooder

May 29, 2011
    Lemont, IL
    Quote:So, I am anxiously waiting for a call from my Post Office. Last time I ordered from My Pet Chicken, the ship date was on Monday and I got the call around 9:10 am on Tuesday. So here I am 2 months later, the newest batch of chicks should ship this week (maybe yesterday???) and although they may not arrive today, I am ready if I get the call.

I also should say that I added a Partridge Cochin and a Blue Laced Red Wyandotte to my order.

waiting. sigh.

10. AZChicken_Kat

AZChicken_Kat Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2011
    West Valley, Phoenix AZ
    Mine are expected this week also. But I'm in AZ, so the late order was intentional to avoid the really hot weather. I ordered in May so it feels like I've been waiting forever. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by