Sept. 25 hatch broody hens newby I have ?'s!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by HB&B, Sep 8, 2010.

1. HB&B

HB&B Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2010
    Woodlawn, TN
    Hi. everyone I am in day 6. [​IMG] I have 6 mix breed full sized eggs under 1 bantam and 3 (2 bantam 1 full size) under another. The one that has 6 is in a more enclosed nest. The one with 3 out in the open on the floor of the coop. Thats why one has more.

So a few questions:
    1. Can I candle the eggs too much before day 18?

2. My mama's don't bite, but growl and fluff up when I or another hen come near. Normal? [​IMG]

3. I am feeding them Purina Flock raiser (or so I think since I never see them move.) Do they need a special feed?

4. If I were to put ordered eggs under them after they have been broody for a while will they automatically stop beeing broody after 25 days or continue until all eggs are hatched?

5. Are there any treats I cannot feed a broody hen thats ok for others? [​IMG]

6. Any special instructions that a newby wouldn't know

Thx in advance everyone!

2. trilyn

trilyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    East Syracuse
    The best thing to do if u can is set them each up in their own private spot. Make sure they have access to feed and water and just check on them a couple of times a day. Otherwise try not to bother them too much. They don't care about treats and whatnot right now. They just want to be left alone to set. Don't bug them with the candling either. Once or twice and that's it. Good luck!

3. HB&B

HB&B Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2010
    Woodlawn, TN
    Well I did offer each one of them hard boiled eggs and they both enjoyed eating the yolk but didnt eat the rest. one also enjoyed a cricket I offered her. And do you mean candling once or twice until hatched?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by