Sept or next spring to get first chickens (pullets)?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Sunny So Cal, Jul 4, 2010.

1. Sunny So Cal

Sunny So Cal New Egg

Jun 6, 2010
    Hi all, a newbie here. I've got my coop and am almost ready to begin my flock. Looking forward to those eggs! I've decided on pullets as I think chicks are too time intensive for my schedule and I don't want to risk getting a rooster for the neighbors' sakes. Factoring in vacation, the earliest I could get pullets is about mid-Sept., if they're even available then. Is this a bad time, better to wait until spring or some other time? When is the best time? I live in southern Calif. so weather is relatively mild year round, although some rain in the early part of the year (hopefully). I'll be getting 3-4, probably barred rock.
    Thanks in advance for any advice.

2. JROOSTER

JROOSTER Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2010
    Louisiana
    [​IMG]

Sept would be fine. Hope you enjoy you girls!

3. Sweet Violet

Sweet Violet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2010
    Vista CA
    I live in Vista. Do you want Silkies? By fall I will have lots of Silkies and won't be able to keep them all. You are welcome to any girls I can't keep. I may even have some Giant Cochin pullets you can have.
    Keep in touch.
    Naomi

4. Sunny So Cal

Sunny So Cal New Egg

Jun 6, 2010
    Thanks Naomi. I'll keep you in mind.
    Jody [​IMG]

5. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    I think that you should get them if you're ready! No need to wait until spring. Barred Rocks are great birds! Since you've got mild weather, you should be good to go!

Welcome!

6. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    Definately no need to wait if you are getting pullets rather then day old chicks! And VERY good choice in breed! I cannot stress the luck I have with Barred Rocks, they are just wonderful friendly birds. I have one who I adore, she is my head hen and is a great girl. I also got some pullets as opposed to chicks with my Wyandottes, got them at 8 weeks or so, and they are all very friendly. Congrats on getting your new girls whenever you do get them! (asap) haha

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by