September 2010 Hatch - How do they look?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Jacklynn, Dec 20, 2010.

1. Jacklynn

Jacklynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Here are some pics of the new girls. I know it's hard to tell from pics, but how do they look ? I really liked the blue, but I think she has vulture hocks :S

Here's the smallest black girlie:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here's the bigger black girlie:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here's the blue girlie, I think she has vulture hocks [​IMG] :
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I know they are young & it's hard to tell, but do they have potential ? They are Bantam Cochins. [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 20, 2010
  2. roocrazy

roocrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2009
    minnesota!!!!
    no, i dont think so. i think breeders are looking for the big poofy cusion--rounded tail. your girls have pointier tails but im no expert.

3. Jacklynn

Quote:You don't think they have potential? Or you don't think she has vulture hocks ? :eek:

4. iluvmychicks

iluvmychicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2007
    Indiana
    They are pretty girls:) As far as "potential" it depends on what your goal is. If you looking into breeding for exhibition they are lacking in cochin type. I would suggest you take a look at the Cochin International website, there you will see very good examples of cochins both LF and Bantam. I would also suggest the Standard of Perfection Book wealth of information about all breeds there.

Here's one of my Black Cochins she was a pullet in this picture.

[​IMG]

Shari

5. NEK38583

NEK38583 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2008
    Sparta, TN
    I wouldn't cull yet through. I have a rule that I always wait until after the first molt before I make any decesions.

6. Jacklynn

Hmm... mine are horrid compared to your pullet Shari ! LOL !

I think I might start with Wyandottes. They sound like a nice starter chicken. I can get them from someone locally who has show birds.

I'll just keep my Cochin Banties as pets. [​IMG]
    Thanks everyone [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by