September Hatch-a-long!

Pics

PouleChick

Crowing
7 Years
Apr 6, 2016
SW France
:frow:frow:frowHi everyone! I thought I'd start a September hatch-a-long (if anyone else is doing it so late in the year!).
A little about me and my hatching for those that dont' know me. I have gone a bit hatching mad :jumpy:jumpyI knew I wanted to build my own flock so at Christmas started with 3 laying pullet chicks (who started laying in the spring) to get me going. I then bought 2 silkie hens late winter / early spring who quite swiftly both went broody and have raised me a hatch each (3 from 1st, 5 from 2nd). Just as the 2nd was still sitting my Sussex I got for laying went broody too! Now that was an adventure as she wsa so young (only about 6 or 7 months) and was in an inapppropritate nesting box (which she wouldn't budge from not for want of trying!) and I put eggs that were too small for her (in hindsight) so we ended up with breakages (her and me when turning :hit), eggs going back and forwards from under her to in the incubator and even a totally crushed egg that I succcesfully hatched 2 days later :ya. We ended up with a count of 6 (out of original 12 eggs) but recently lost one, 3 hatched under Mabel and 3 in the bator with hassle free intergration under her of the 3 I did. So I have 18 chickens / chicks already so i really don't need more - thought I wanted 6 originally then went up to 12 with maxing out at at 18 but oh no - chicken maths has hit BIG time :lau:lau.

Anyway last week both silkies went broody again I was torn between :barnie and :ya:ya. Needles to say :ya:ya won :lau. I went to buy 12 eggs off the breeder I found with Cream Legbars and wasnt' able to get any of last time plus 4 Marans - I thought I'd be sensible and only do 6 each. But oh no I paid for 12 and he gave me 18 as he was worried they wouldn't all be fertile as he lost one of his roos then he gave me another 6 as well :lau:lau so 24 eggs :th:th.

Yesterday I put 9 under each Silkie and 6 in my neighbours incubator (which I still have from last time) - I have talked her into taking some of the chicks :lau:lau so we are due September 3rd :ya:ya:jumpy:jumpy

Anyone else playing? Please share your hatching stories too or join in if it is your first time fo rall the people with far more knowledge than me to help :D:D

Same here! After I hatched out my first batch, it became addicting... And I just had to keep doing it!!!:lau

but now I'm over -run with chicks!!!
I will most likely be setting another batch of my NN egg's from my flock. I just had some that hatched out a week ago that are in my brooder. What can I say? I'm just a hatch-a-holic! :gig:jumpy:jumpy:jumpy

I'm actually not massively keen on my Australorp - she is just so black and isn't very friendly either (although she is at that teenage stage where they are all like that - I remember my 3 older girls getting much friendlier just before they started laying!). I'm wondering if I should try to sell my Orpington cockerel and her as a pair. But then they are meant to be such good layers I'm not sure if I should get rid!

I'm actually not massively keen on my Australorp - she is just so black and isn't very friendly either (although she is at that teenage stage where they are all like that - I remember my 3 older girls getting much friendlier just before they started laying!). I'm wondering if I should try to sell my Orpington cockerel and her as a pair. But then they are meant to be such good layers I'm not sure if I should get rid!

They are your bird's, so that's your decision. I'm trying to sell my Splash Australorp hen over here, but so far no one local has been interested in her.

Back
Top Bottom