Septic tanks and vegtable gardens......

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by bmax, Aug 31, 2010.

1. bmax

bmax Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2010
    Conway, AR
    First I grew up in the city and we had city sewer systems so I have never delt with septic systems until now. Now our backyard backs up to the lake (fishing only) and septic system in the backyard. SO the great debate between the man and I is: How safe is it to have a veggie /fruit garden in the backyard with the septic lines running all over the backyard? He says its perfectly fine I say its compeletly disgusting. BUT WHAT DO I KNOW? Our backyard is so lush and the grass grows like crazy. We tried container tomatoes in the front yard and nothing....So is it safe to have a veggie garden in the backyard? Can't do it down at the bottom of the yard since we do at times have flooding issues with heavy heavy rains...

here's a picture of part of the yard
    [​IMG]

2. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

I have no idea. We have a septic tank and the leech field is SO lush and green and the grass grows like crazy, and I admit, I've been tempted to plant stuff there, but have refrained. I think it's probably not a great Idea if you're going to EAT stuff that grows there... I think a flower garden would grow like gangbusters though.

3. GwenDellAnno

GwenDellAnno Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2009
    Water Valley, AB
    I don't think it's an issue at all.... you can already see (by the health of your grass) that there's lots of good nutrients and moisture there!!

I have mine over the septic bed, however, they are raised beds. [​IMG]

The only issue you would ever have is if you ever had to dig up your septic field for any reason (like if it got plugged or the tiles needed replacing or anything), then you would lose your garden... or a portion of it anyways.

4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I personally would not want my vegetables grown over our drain field. But, your drain field can't take up ALL that land, can it? I wouldn't mind going off to the side a little, so it's not right on top of it.

[​IMG]

5. agnes_day

agnes_day Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2008
    oklahoma
    *stupid question alert*

thats not like raw sewage in your yard is it?

6. bmax

bmax Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2010
    Conway, AR
    Quote:Gosh I hope not!!! What I understand is there are pipes called the leach field that are in the yard and the septic water (or whatever its called) leaches down into the ground...all of this is buried you cannot see anything!

7. greyhorsewoman

greyhorsewoman Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    Endless Mts, NE PA
  8. Anguissette

Anguissette Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2010
    Eastern NC
    When you used a rotar-tiller wouldn't it hit your buried drain field lines?

No idea if this is true, just thinking.

9. bmax

bmax Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2010
    Conway, AR
    Quote:It looks like we shouldnt! BUT now does that mean the whole backyard is off limits for a vegatable garden? We do not know where or how long/wide the leach field is....

10. bmax

bmax Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2010
    Conway, AR
    Quote:the article I just read said you should not till over the leach field. Maybe I will win this debate after all! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by