sequencial hatching?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by rancher hicks, Dec 26, 2009.

1. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    I only have one incu but would like to hatch more than a weeks worth of CM eggs. I only want to hatch the darkest eggs and unfortunately that means only one egg a day as the other 4 hens don't lay eggs dark enough to my likeing. Is it possible to start 7 eggs on day one and then start 7 more eggs on day 7 and maybe 7 more eggs on day 14? All in the same incu? I can be fairly certain they will all be fertile as the 5 hens are with the roo and he's young and a bully. They have their own coop so know all the eggs are his and theirs. Oh and these girls are only about 7 mos. old. New layers and good sized eggs too. Well two are almost a year but I wouldn't be hatching their eggs. Hatchery gals ya know.

2. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

I hatch several different batches all the same time. When it's time to quit turning ,I put them in the bottom to hatch. When the chicks are totally dry , I move them to the brooder pen with plenty of warmth.

3. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    I would be using a hovabator. It's all I have. Unless I buy another. OK! Until I buy another.

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Buy another now. Use one as an incubator and another as a hatcher. That way you can handle the different humidities and you can hatch every week.

KathyinMo just went through a hatch something like you are considering. You might find this interesting.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=277138

I still recommend a separate hatcher.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by