Serama baby died at 6 weeks... any idea why?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by birddogvet, Sep 24, 2012.

1. birddogvet

birddogvet New Egg

Sep 6, 2012
    We had 2 serama babies, they are about 6 weeks old now. We have had a heat lamp on them some of the time, but honestly we have forgotten to turn it on a few times, and they have been fine without it. Yesterday was their first trip outside. They were outside about an hour with us maybe. They seemed fine but it was cooler... maybe 55-60 degrees, and we were worried it was too much for them, so we brought them inside. Our girls held them, they seemed fine. And their eyes were both fine. It looks like one of them died last night. She had maggots crawling out of her eyes by the time we found her. I thought that would take longer than 24 hrs? She was also quite "deflated" looking.

Did we do anything wrong that we could not repeat? These are small birds, so when should they be allowed to be exposed to the elements? Do you think she needed to be dewormed or had other issues? Did we stress her out too much yesterday?

Thanks for your help

Erin

2. RonC

RonC Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2012
    D/FW
    Sorry you lost one of your babies. Not sure about how fast Serama's develop so no idea there or about what might have happened. You will want to get the survivor a new friend though.

3. birddogvet

birddogvet New Egg

Sep 6, 2012
    We have 4 Seramas that are in the 14-17 week range, so as soon as she's big enough to be with them, she'll have 4 buddies. We actually did not want these two initially as we weren't up for raising chicks... but the people we bought them from basically threw them in the bunch for free... and of course my two girls (ages 2 and 4) got really attached and just named them yesterday. Luckily the one that lived was the favorite, but they liked the other too.

4. leadwolf1

leadwolf1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    It takes awhile for maggots to hatch. At some time, that chick had to have had eggs layed on it. Probably near the vent or the umbilicus. Or, another wound you may have missed. From what I've read, 24 hours seems to be the number. Myiasis is the clinical name for this.

5. birddogvet

birddogvet New Egg

Sep 6, 2012
    Thanks leadwolf. That is what I was thinking... sad. I guess I feel better knowing we likely didn't do anything wrong, just a fluke of nature. Seramas sure are cool though.

6. leadwolf1

leadwolf1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    I absolutely adore my serama roo, Lance! I wouldn't trade him for the world.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by