Serama Bantams

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Chickensrock10110, Feb 10, 2009.

1. Chickensrock10110

Chickensrock10110 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2009
    Hawaii
    Aloha! I am a new BYC member from Hawaii as of today.I`m not sure if this is posting is in the right catagory....Please let me know if I wrong.

Anyways...I recieved a few serama bantams yesterday.I really like them .I was wondering how to achieve the more "chesty" appearance as I have seen in many websites.All of the bantams I recieved does not seem to have the "chesty" look.Can anyone help me with breeding tips to achieve this?

THANK YOU!

2. kbbeale

kbbeale Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2007
    Adkins, Tx
    [​IMG] Yeah!! Your first post!!!! Welcome

Can you post some pictures? Maybe they're just not standing erect?

3. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    if they are young birds, wait, they may get more "chesty" later on. Hens usually are not so chesty, and are more feminine looking.

4. sloallie10

sloallie10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2008
    CA
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2009
  5. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    Welcome...I learned that they do take a while to totally grow up. And become more chesty.

6. aberfitch

aberfitch Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2008
    Texas Fort Worth
    it depends on the genetics of the bird also. I have seen some in person and on ebay that look like regular bantams and have not chest pose at all. Seramas are bread for their chesty poses. You have to buy from a breeder that has good genetics to have chesty birds. just know who you are buying from. out of all the ones I have bought I have only 2 that are chesty. Real seramas are very hard to come by.

7. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    also they have to learn how to stand "chesty. don't forget about the wing tips, they need to go tward the ground, thats what get your bird 'chesty' also the tail needs to just touch the back of the head. you need to have it all or the 'chestyness' is not there. (have a hen around, it does help. the boys like to show off)

8. BoiseBubba

BoiseBubba Serama Psycho

Feb 11, 2009
    Boise, ID
    Seramas are ment to be very chesty in MALAYSIAN SERAMAS. In the United States they are called American Seramas, the difference between the two is the Malaysians are more chesty, the wings are more vertical, and the tails are more vertical also. The Americans look like this. The real importance in breeding seramas is for size. And they do get more chesty and get the vertical wings with age. [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 12, 2009
  9. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

welcome! BTW, nice birdie, bubba! [​IMG]

10. Chickensrock10110

Chickensrock10110 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2009
    Hawaii
    Thanks for all the help everyone![​IMG]
    I have another question: All of the seramas havve SCNA leg bands.Can anyone help me decode what it means or what it stands for?

All have the letters SCNA.
    They all have a letter 'A' on the band.
    The bands are plastic and have a serial number and the year they were hatched.

They also have another leg band that I was told was for quarantine to bring them into the state.Could they be from a mainland breeder?
    Does anyone have any clue what these could stand for?

Does the band mean they are Malaysian or American seramas?

Aloha!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by