Serama breeder coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by TinyTotsSeramas, Sep 29, 2011.

1. TinyTotsSeramas

TinyTotsSeramas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2011
    Smithsburg
    So here are the coop plans.. Something simple!
    the run is 12ft long by 12ft wide and 6 foot high that will be sectioned off in 3ft wide runs, the coop area 4ft long by 4ft high and 3ft wide
    There will be 2ft run space below the coop where shade and food an water will be kept. An access door will be placed under the coop so I can change the food an water an in case I need to grab something from the coop I can just crawl through the access door. There will be an access door on the back of the coop so I can just reach in an grab the eggs when they start to lay. in the run there will be natural limbs off of a tree for roosts as well as a step roost in the coop. Now I know this isnt very big but this was planned out for only pairs and maybe 1 or 2 trios.. so there isnt many birds going in it. I also made it to scale using the CM part of the ruler.. so 12cm on paper is 12ft on ground
    On the picture below, the 1st scetch is the side veiw of what it will look like when standing beside it and the scetch below it is an aerial view!!

[​IMG]

2. CrestedGirl

CrestedGirl Polish Obsessed

Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    LOOKS AWESOME [​IMG]

3. TinyTotsSeramas

Jun 21, 2011
    Smithsburg
    Quote:Thank you [​IMG]
    I've been wanting a coop like this for a while now but never had the means to start it [​IMG]

4. TinyTotsSeramas

Jun 21, 2011
    Smithsburg
    Can anyone else tell me if this seems right of if its okay? Im just hoping im not planning this wrong..

5. TinyTotsSeramas

Jun 21, 2011
    Smithsburg
    opinions please? I dont want to do something wrong an we're going to start on it next week!

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I think it sounds like a lot of room for seramas (a good thing) I would be very concerned about predators - so would want alot of hardware cloth maybe 18"-24" around the lower sides of the run, and definitely a wire skirt around it. If it's 6 ft. tall - you could probably clean the run without bending - so please do cover it either with fiberglass panels, for rain/snow/predator protection or the sturdy wire. Snakes, rats, hawks, coons, foxes etc. could always get in from the top otherwise. They might be just a snack for predators and it that case they could wipe them out in minutes.

I don't know if you planned on it or not but, I thought it always need mention. Good luck with your flock, I love seramas.

7. TinyTotsSeramas

Jun 21, 2011
    Smithsburg
    Quote:I did plan for the predators but thank you for mentioning it! [​IMG]
    I never thought of covering the top of the run with Fiberglass panels! That would save alot of wire an keep the runs from getting really nasty an mucky in the rain an keep alot of the snow out of the runs! Thank you for that advice!! an yeah I'll be able to clean it without bending lol im only 5'1" so im really short [​IMG]

8. chickendales

chickendales Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    where are u at i be worried about cold weather

9. chickendales

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    if i was going to breed seramas i would build a building for them where they could spend most there time in doors with small runs and i make so i lock then in at night and when the weather was bad

10. chickendales

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by