serama chick dying

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by dadsdeercamp, Feb 18, 2011.

1. dadsdeercamp

dadsdeercamp Say goodnight gracie

Sep 24, 2010
    Mora MN.
    i have a 2 week old serama incubated and brooded by momma hen that is laying on its back shaking, stumbles, looks real sick. what could be wrong, should i remove it or its brother from the nest and put in a brooder? im having a real hard time keeping these serama chick alive. what im i doing wrong?
    [​IMG]

2. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    check and make sure it does not have pasty butt if it does clean it off well

Last edited: Feb 18, 2011
  3. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    You're not the only one to have problems raising serama chicks. They don't seem to be as hardy as other breeds. You might have better luck on the serama thread in the breeds, genetics section. Hope you get help soon.

4. dadsdeercamp

Sep 24, 2010
    Mora MN.
    had to cull couldnt watch him suffer any more

5. Louise's Country Closet

Louise's Country Closet Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Garrison, MN
    Did you ever find the other chick that was missing?

6. dadsdeercamp

Sep 24, 2010
    Mora MN.
    no still thinking alien abduction

7. ocseramas

ocseramas Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2010
    Sometimes they have a neurological problem that is inherited. If you are having this often, might want to consider another hen or roo. They could be passing on a defect that is causing this or a disease. I find the vast majority of chicks to be extremely health and rarely have a problem. Also, what are you feeding the chicks? Are you changing the water twice per day to make sure it is clean?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by