Serama Chick

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by littletyke333, Jul 3, 2010.

1. littletyke333

littletyke333 New Egg

Jul 3, 2010
    Please can anyone help!!
    I have just hatched 1 Serama Chick out of a batch of 12. The little fella (or lady) is 3 days old but isn't eatting or drinking on it's own.
    Is this normal? I am managing to get some food and water into it's little mouth but im not sure how effective this is.
    Will the little chap suffer for not having any siblings/
  2. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    No, that isn't normal. I don't know much about raising chicks, but it might not be hungry yet. [​IMG]

Try to spend as much time as possible with it, it's probably lonely.
  3. BluegrassSeramas

BluegrassSeramas Serama Savvy

Aug 25, 2008
    Central Kentucky
    Do you know anyone else with small chicks of the same age? Or a broody hen?
    Sometimes they need someone to show them what or how to eat. A mentor of sorts.

Keep dipping it's beak in water, and keep offering it bits of food. Scrambled eggs, bits of crumbles or anything tiny enough to eat in one peck.
    When I have a chick that doesn't eat, I pick up a bit of food and drop it over and over,
    like a hen would to entice them into eating it.
    Hopefully it will get the idea...
  4. Oven Ready

Oven Ready Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    2 days not eating & drinking would be OK, they still have the yolk - if he was a little early he might have more yolk left than you'd think, but three days is a bit long.

Tapping at their food with your little finger nail can stimulate them because it sounds like mom is pecking.

ETA : try putting small bits of food on a contrasting colored plate. So if his food is light colored but a few crumbs of it on a dark plate and vice-versa. If you have termites where you live, get a dozen of them, squish them lightly (so they don't go off and eat your kitchen!) and present them on a plate or on the end of your finger.

A drip of water on the end of your finger touched to the end of his (what must be microscopic) beak should get him to take a little drink - small and often for these little guys I would think.

Boiled/Scrambled aggs are good as already mentioned, if you can't force him to eat because he is too small for you to handle, smear some boiled egg yolk on his beak at the sides, get ready and when he does cheep or something slip the smearage upwards and it'll go in.

If he starts to fall over (backwards especially) he has run out of food and needs force fed urgently if he's to have a chance. Go with the eggs they never (rarely) fail to bring a malnourished chicken back from the brink.

We have Japanese Bantams and their chicks are tiny, like a fluffly golf ball, just how small is a Serama chick?
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by