1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Serama Chick ?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by GAGE, Jan 27, 2011.

1. GAGE

GAGE Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    GA
    Out of 14 eggs, we have 7 chicks running around, with 2 more pipping, it has been 24 hours since the first one hatched. When should I remove the chicks from the bator to the brooder?
    The eggs where scheduled to hatch yesterday and today, and I do not want to risk any humidity/temp. issues with the remaining eggs, but want to make sure that the chicks will be okay without water for another day, if that is the answer.

Our brooder is a large plastic dog box with a hole cut directly in middle and red 250 watt bulb suspended, that keeps it about 90%.

2. ThePigeonKid

ThePigeonKid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Ohio - Chickens 3yrs
    Chicks are designed to survive a few days (I believe 72 hours) without food or water. Hope this helps. [​IMG]

3. Sumatra503

Sumatra503 Kozy Orchard Farms

Sep 24, 2010
    The Yolk is fully absorbed after 24 hours. Any time much after that the chicks will be hungry and thirsty. They should be fed after no more than 36 hours. Especially tiny serama chicks.

4. Keri78

Keri78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2009
    NJ
    I'd say your safe at 36 hours to remove the chicks but keep the bator running for another day or two just to be sure you may be surprised with a late hatcher or two!!![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by