1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Serama chicken has worm in feces

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Peepchirpquack, Dec 27, 2016.

1. Peepchirpquack

Peepchirpquack Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2014
    Earth
    Hi y'all, I recently got 2 3 month old serama chickens (hen and roo) and today I noticed a rather large tubular thing in one of their droppings (not sure which). It appears to be a worm, but it's not moving. Neither of the birds are acting lethargic, except for the hen having some slightly watery poops, and the rooster has been yawning more than the hen (every 15-20 minutes, early signs of gapeworm maybe?). Here are some images of the feces.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Sorry if the pics are blurry, they were taken from an IPad. The tube part is clear and rubbery
    If they do have worms, how should I treat them? Thanks in advance!

-PeepChirpQuack

Last edited: Dec 27, 2016
  2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I can't tell from the pics if there is a worm, but you can use Valbazen 1/4 ml (for a bantam) orally and repeat it in 10 days. SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer is also good. Dosage is 1/4 ml per pound given orally for 5 days in a row to get the most difficult worms including capillary worms. It is easier to find. Of course, you can take a few fresh droppings in to your local vet for testing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by