Serama Chicks from Kbbeale

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by kbbeale, Apr 4, 2009.

1. kbbeale

kbbeale Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2007
    Adkins, Tx
    Here's a thread to report in on your serama chicks/chickens from me! Everyone has had such great luck with hatching these cuties - I'm sure we'd all love to see pictures and stories on them! Thanks so much everyone!

2. CATRAY44

CATRAY44 Lard Cookin Chicken Woman

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here are mine! I think one may be a pullet and the other a cockerel? The pictures do not do justice to the rich colors...

3. TurtleFeathers

TurtleFeathers Fear the Turtle!

Jan 9, 2009
    By the Chesapeake Bay
    Hi all!

I got a dozen serama eggs from Kristen back in February - Kristen offered to send extras, but I didn't have room in the incubator for any more eggs, so I told her to keep it at 12.

Of the 12, ALL were fertile, but only 8 hatched. I understand that serama eggs can be alittle temperamental, and shipping can greatly affect hatch rates, so, although I was disappointed that the 4 didn't make it out of the egg, I was not surprised by it. All in all, I was very pleased, and I would HIGHLY recommend Kristen's serama eggs to anyone!

As a side note, I got a variety of colors from this batch, but I don't know the technical terms for their coloring... 1 is black, 2 are black and white (one about half and half, and one about 90% black, looks like he's wearing a tux), 1 looks like Kristen's mottled hen on her website, 2 look like they are wheaten (not sure tho), and 2 look kinda mille de fleur-ish. At Easter time, I gave three of the chicks to a friend, and her family is now as hooked on seramas as I am!!!

Sorry Kristen - I know I promised you some pics a long time ago! I'll try and take some later and post them here, ok? *IF* I can remember how to do it, that is... LOL!!! Oh, and I need to talk to you about your EE's and silkies too, ok? I'll PM you later tho...

Kathy

4. CATRAY44

Here are the same Serama chicks (above) at a little more than eight weeks age. The male is 6 oz and the female a little past eight oz. They are so pretty. The male looks like he will be a bit smaller than the female. I love the colors coming out in them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 10, 2009
  5. R@ndy

[email protected] Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2009
    Taneytown
    Those little ones are cool [​IMG]

6. CATRAY44

I hope you all excuse the bathroom pose, lol. I needed a place to take pictures where my dogs would not pose a threat, lol.

7. kbbeale

kbbeale Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2007
    Adkins, Tx
    How awesome!!! I'm so thrilled to see some of my grandchicks!!!! [​IMG]

Keep 'em coming.....there's a ton of other people out there that have my grandchicks. I wanna see pics!!!! [​IMG]

Kristen

8. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    i've seen Cat's seramas in person and they are uber tiny! and adorable of course!

i would highly recommend eggs from Kbbeale after seeing the chicks myself. lovely.

9. ChickenCharmer

ChickenCharmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Is the serama cockerel in the second pic being compared to a japanese? If so, then WoW, seramas ARE tiny! If they're both seramas, then why is the pullet so much bigger than the cockerel?

Cute pics!!! [​IMG]

10. CATRAY44

Both birds are Seramas from eggs Kbbeal sent me. I only ordered 6, and they came all the way from Texas to Michigan in the coldest part of winter. Most were fertile, one died a day after hatching and the 2 remaining are the two pictured above.

Seramas are the smallest breed of chicken and come in 3 different classes of size. My male looks like he may be a smaller size than the female. If I understand correctly, any of the sizes can result from any size bird, but rarely to the smallest size prove fertile. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Last edited: May 11, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by