Serama chicks. Possibly frizzled?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Silkies~Polishes, Sep 25, 2012.

1. Silkies~Polishes

Silkies~Polishes Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    So I have 5 serama chicks. There mom is a regular feathered serama. Their dad is a causally a blue frizzle polish but they look nothing like polish chicks and you wouldn't guess they are only part serama. Anyways, I think 4 of them are frizzledSo. Since their feathers turn up a little. Only one chick, compared to the others, has flat feathers. Is this possible? I thought frizzling bred with flat feathers would create low frizzle percentage? I will post pictures in about half an hour so you guys can confirm. The 4 definitely have different feathers but they are only like a week and a half so it's hard to tell.

2. ChickyBangBang

ChickyBangBang Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2012
    Breeding a non-frizzle to a frizzle will give every single embryo a 50% chance of having the frizzle gene. A lot of people think that means that a clutch should be 50/50 frizzle and smooth (half and half) and that is simply not the case. Many fertilized eggs will not hatch. Some fertilized eggs are eaten by the hen or another hen in the flock and you won't even know it. Some fertilized eggs will find their way out of the nester and splat on the coop floor. That being said...you *don't know* what those fertilized eggs that had an untimely demise may have been (frizzled or not frizzled). So really, it's not 50/50 frizzled and smooth it's 50% chance for every embyro to have the frizzle gene.

Anyway...yes, you can have 4/5 chicks be frizzled. You can even have 10/10 eggs be frizzled, or all of them be smooth and have NO frizzles. LOL I feel like I'm reading the fuzzy wuzzy wuz a bear rhyme.

Source: 30 year frizzle breeder (not me, but a mentor I'm in contact with). I'd be glad to share their contact info if you want it (after I ask them of course).

I have a bunch of hatching eggs on the way from a frizzle/smooth pairing and I'll be happy if I just get 1 frizzle out of the eggs. =D

Last edited: Sep 25, 2012
  3. Silkies~Polishes

Silkies~Polishes Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    Wow thanks for the help! It's so exciting I was prepared before they hatched to get no frizzles. So this is so cool! Thanks for the offer on the contact info. I don't think I need it because this is all I was wondering. But thanks anyway for all the info!!!!!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by