Serama chicks

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by Nemesis3, Oct 7, 2012.

1. Nemesis3

Nemesis3 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 28, 2012
    I have a small backyard chicken coop with 4 full sized hens. I have been researching the Serama breed and would like to add a roo and hen to our egg laying family. The breeder I use here in northeastern Ohio (Akron/Canton area) does not have any Seramas so I thought I would ask all of you where I could locate a breeder. I would like to raise them from chicks. If you have any advice I would greatly appreciate it!

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I have never had Seramas but please research their heat requirement. They are not cold hardy from what I have read.

3. Nemesis3

Jun 28, 2012
    I can easily heat a section of the coop if need be for the Sermas. The reviews are mixed on their cold hardiness though. I would need to closely monitor their comfort level if I can locate some. They seem to be difficult to hatch.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2012
  4. catwalk

catwalk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2009
    Carl Stough lives near you around Mansfield. He is an excellent breeder of several bantam breeds, and he had the ABA national champion Serama. He is not online, though, so you will need to do some work to get a hold of him. There will be plenty for sale, I'm sure, at the Ohio Nationals next month. I'll be there to visit, and I have a mottled cock to unload. Nothing wrong with him; I just bought him in a package deal and I'm not working on his color. I know it's easier to buy males than hens, though, and I don't have any females to go with him. PM me if you want a photo of him.

5. Nemesis3

Jun 28, 2012
    Thanks for the info.... I'll look him up!

6. alexandraintn

alexandraintn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2012
    Meigs County Tennessee
    Hey I am in E. Tennessee and my Seramas are doing really well in the cold so far. I wrapped the coop in plastic and now that its getting down in the 20s I put a 60 watt black light bulb in the house part for them at night. They are super little babies!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by