Serama color questions

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by jmfleish, Jan 29, 2015.

1. jmfleish

jmfleish New Egg

May 31, 2013
    I'm kind of new to the world of chickens. We've had Seramas for a little over a year now and have had two clutches, our second clutch of two hatching just two weeks ago. I'm falling in love with the colors we are getting and am wondering more and more about colorings and if there is a general naming convention for them. Our first set of five babies came from our nearly all black frizzle male, Dagbert and what I think is called a Wheatan female, Millie and we got three frizzles and two smooth from this pairing. I should post pictures of everyone but my biggest question is of the current two babies that we got from Tildie who is Millie's sister and also a Wheatan and one of Millie's son's, either Number One who I would call a Pumpkin maybe and is smooth or Mr. Frizzle and I don't know what you would call him...he's kind of a muddle of colors, mostly black but whites, and browns as well. Both chicks are smooth and one, Chipmunk, looks like he's going to look more like his mom but the other is pure yellow and her feathers are coming in even lighter than her baby down. I'm just starting to get more and more interested about colors with this newest set of babies if anyone can give me more information. Pictures are below.

Not the best picture of Mr. Frizzle, one of the potential dads:
    [​IMG]

Number One, one of the other potential dads:
    [​IMG]

Tildie, the mom and the two babies, Chipmunk and Lemon:
    [​IMG]

Chipmunk and Lemon:
    [​IMG]

Chipmunk and Lemon:
    [​IMG]

Chipmunk and Lemon:
    [​IMG]