1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Serama colors and age progression

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Naliez, Oct 14, 2015.

1. Naliez

Naliez Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2015
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Since Seramas change so much as they grow, I was hoping to get some age progression pics to compare. Zippy, who I thought was all white, looks like he's getting some grey color in his tail, although, it's kind of hard to tell (he has always looked kinda rough, like a never ending teen phase). I thought he was getting some buff, or red on top of his head, until I realized that somebody had dropped a spaghetti noodle on his head, (one of my sons, I'm sure, but nobody's admitting it). My other 6 still look identical. So, here's Zippy and the fab 6.

2. dotm8rix

dotm8rix Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2015
    Love this thread idea! :) :)

Here are some progress shots for 5 of my chicks. Initial photos were taken at 1-2 weeks old, second shots at 6-7 weeks old.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

My white silkied pullet looks like she's beginning to get some strands of buff color in her throat. So interesting to see how they develop!

Last edited: Dec 17, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  3. Naliez

May 7, 2015
    Hey, Dom! Those pictures are great! It's been a while since I've been on here! Maybe there's still hope for this thread after all! Lol The batch of chicks that I hatched who all came out looking exactly the same have definitely changed a bit. The only boy is Sue, and he's turning out really pretty! Here's two of them then... [​IMG] And now.... [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Naliez

May 7, 2015
    And Zippy, the origional singleton...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

She looks a little chubby here. I'll get some better pics up later.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. dotm8rix

May 28, 2015
    Thanks, and thanks for the thread! If nothing else you and I will keep it alive. :)

I dig Zippy's grey tail feathers. While I do especially like the light colored birds, just plain white is a little too vanilla for me. ;) Sue is gorgeous btw! And great name.

I'll be photographing the rest of my chicks over time and posting them here. For me it's an important educational project to track the development of feathering, so I'm planning studio shots of every one of my chickies.

6. dotm8rix

May 28, 2015
    Silvia:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. dotm8rix

May 28, 2015
    3 hatch mates, 2 girls and 1 roo, had almost identical feathering as chicks.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

The pullets both look like this:

[​IMG]

And here's the cockerel:

[​IMG]

8. dotm8rix

May 28, 2015
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. dotm8rix

May 28, 2015
    This pair is a bit younger than the others I posted. 3 days old and again at 4 weeks old.

This is Bee:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

And Sisal:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

I should have photos for my latest hatch of 8 in about a month.

10. dotm8rix

May 28, 2015
    I probably shouldn't do a total update on all my birds but I'll show a few of my favorites that were posted earlier.

And then age progression for everyone from the last hatch in another post.

Here's Sisal at 3 days, 1 month, and finally pictured on the righthand side at 2.5 months. To her left is Sylvia, who's also been posted previously above.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Next is Floyd. First taken at 1-2 weeks, again at 6-7 weeks, and finally at 3 months. He looks just like his sire.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And finally Reese. Again, we see her at 1-2 weeks, 6-7 weeks and finally at 3 months.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by