Serama coop improvements

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Ravinrascal, Aug 27, 2013.

1. Ravinrascal

Ravinrascal Out Of The Brooder

Aug 27, 2013
    I am currently finishing off building my small chicken coop for two serama hens I am getting and will post pictures later today. It is designed like a rabbit hutch with a hole I the floor where the ramp is. I am worried it will be too cold for them in winter as I read they don't do we'll below 40'F 5'C. I will probably adding a heat lamp or moving the hutch into the shed but is there any other improvements. I live in South Yorkshire where it can reach to around 20'F -7'C

2. Ravinrascal

Aug 27, 2013
    [​IMG]
    If this picture has uploaded correctly you will see the inside of my coop. Two nest boxes in the left bottom corner. The perches will go across the two trays and I have a empty space that I don't know what to use for, any ideas. Also you can see the hole where the ramp will be, will that let to much heat out or will it be okay

3. Ravinrascal

Aug 27, 2013
    [​IMG]
    ^finished product ready to move into the garden. This will house 2 or 3 seramas
    [​IMG]
    We will attach strings to the roof so it doesn't fall backwards and break hinges
    [​IMG]
    We are adding a latch to make it more secure
    [​IMG]
    Inside again and the only things missing are the perches and ramp which are drying

I am just wondering if it will be too cold for them due to hole where the ramp is and I was also wondering how to stop water freezing thanks

Last edited: Aug 27, 2013
  4. Ravinrascal

Aug 27, 2013
    How many serama could I get in the 2l 3w 3h coop and I was also wondering what plants and shrubs aren't poisenous to seramas that they could use for shelter of perches in the run

Last edited: Aug 27, 2013
  5. Ravinrascal

Aug 27, 2013
    Any replies?

Last edited: Aug 28, 2013
  6. chynasparks

chynasparks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2013
    Texas
    I'm not sure but you might leave that space empty for your peeps to be able to land down to when moving around inside. I can't tell from the picture how big the space is. Mine walki in and out, move around go up on perches, come down ect. I'm wishing mine had a little more space to do all that. But, it is what it is and they seem to be fine. Not laying yet so I don't know if it will be an issue then

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by