Serama developed a bent comb as he matured, should I still breed him?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by ICallMyselfCherie', Dec 4, 2011.

1. ICallMyselfCherie'

ICallMyselfCherie' Chillin' With My Peeps

Hey, everybody. I have a beautiful rooster, great type, great personality, blah blah blah. When I got him at about five-six months old his comb was fine. Now it has bent outward, at an angle. The tips of the comb are darker than the rest, but otherwise he seems fine.

Here's a pic:

[​IMG]

My question is, as great as he is otherwise, is it worth breeding him? Is it possible being raised the rest of the way in unnatural light (which causes excessive comb growth, I've heard) could have done this? What is the chance his offspring will carry this trait?

Thank you!!

Last edited: Dec 4, 2011
  2. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    what breed is he? Lotsa breeds (like leghorns) have floppy combs...

3. ICallMyselfCherie'

He's a Serama, and they're definitely not supposed to have bent combs. Lol, he does look like a leghorn, though, doesn't he?! [​IMG]

4. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    yeah, thats why I asked! It looked like a serama, but from the angle of the photo, I could not be sure! Sorry, not much help here, but maybe a serama person will be more likely to pop in and offer advice if his breed was in your title?

5. ICallMyselfCherie'

Yeah, the angle of the picture doesn't help much, hahaha. You know, that's a good idea. Changing it right now . . .

6. HenThymes

HenThymes pippin ain't easy

Feb 27, 2010
    Foothills of NC
    From what I have been told - when it comes to seramas too high of protein (anything over 21%) will cause floppy combs. Not to say that every bird is the same, some with a lower protein may also cause them or that some may be able to tolerate a higher protien. As for the purple/blue comb, it is either a sign that he is a tad cold or possibly not feeling well???

7. AinaWGSD

AinaWGSD Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Sullivan, IL
    I don't know the answer to your question, but I just wanted to say what an artisitc photo! Very pretty.

8. ICallMyselfCherie'

Haha, thank you, Aina! I should show you some of the photos I took of my birds when I was trying to be artistic!

Wow, high protein! That's really interesting, I'll have to watch out for that!! Thank you!!

9. bigb-71

bigb-71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2011
    Ceder ridge CA
    I personaly would not use him for breeding . you have other roo's don't you ? use some of the other ones . if its that he white just find a different one i have one here you can have soild white a little longer in the back than yours but still good and he has a nice comb .

10. ICallMyselfCherie'

I have TONS of other roos, just no other white ones. It's just my bad luck that most of my hens wound up white! I have a white frizzle I really would like to breed, I guess I'll have to get another white roo.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by