Serama egg questions

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by cochunk, Apr 9, 2012.

1. cochunk

cochunk Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2011
    Hello everyone.

I have a few questions regrading serama broodyness and the best option on hatching the eggs.

we have a hen and roo serama, the hen started laying maybe.. 2 weeks ago, and has let the roo mount her so we know her eggs are fertile, hoping that she would become broody and nest on the eggs we kept them in the box (there are 3 right now). So is there a certain number of eggs that need to be in the box before she desides to sit on them or would it be easier to incubate the eggs, in which case what would I need to do that.

thank you.

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Well, she could go broody tomorrow, or she might never go broody, even if there are a hundred eggs in the nest - there's no controlling that hormonal urge to nest. Letting eggs sit can trigger it sometimes, but surely isn't a given.
    To incubate eggs, you'll need an incubator. Do you have one?

3. cochunk

cochunk Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2011
    we don't have an incubator since the need for one never occured.

4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Well then your next step (if you're not wanting to wait until your pullet goes broody eventually and you're wanting to hatch chicks), is to research incubators. There are many different brands/kinds, ranging in price from fairly cheap to very expensive. I'd find out what serama and maybe quail folks mostly use, since the smaller eggs may do better with a certain type. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by