Serama eggs pipped on wrong end!(Update! Hatched)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Gerbil, Aug 6, 2010.

1. Gerbil

Gerbil Oh, Crazy!

Jun 24, 2010
    I have 2 Serama eggs that are pipped on the wrong end, what could have caused this? I pulled the membrane back just a little so they could get some air and 1 was already dead. What should I do? I also have a 3rd egg that's pipping normally.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2010
  2. riftnreef

riftnreef Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2009
    Mechanicsburg, Ohio
    How long did you turn them? I found that Seramas are pretty reliable to hatch at 19 days, so they need to stop being turned earlier then other breeds...maybe if you turned too long, they couldn't get situated right in the egg. Just one of many possibities.

3. Gerbil

Gerbil Oh, Crazy!

Jun 24, 2010
    Its day 19, and we stopped turning 2 days ago, we were turning them 3 times a day.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2010
  4. riftnreef

riftnreef Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2009
    Mechanicsburg, Ohio
    Could also be that if the hens or roo are on the class A or micro side that the eggs just were not big enough to allow them to turn. When I hatch my Seramas, the smallest of eggs often don't fare well. When you turn, make sure you don't turn end over end, and I've found that if you can either use a turner, or find a way to prop the eggs large end up during incubation that can help to. Seramas are hard to hatch compared to most other breeds, so don't see it as a failure! My last batch I set 30 eggs and only hatched 13...of course a lot of that was my fault for locking them down way late because I was preoccupied with the fair...[​IMG]

5. Gerbil

Gerbil Oh, Crazy!

Jun 24, 2010
    I feel a little better, I just hope some hatch, we started with 14 and were down to 5. Next year I am sticking with Silkie eggs, they are easier to hatch......... [​IMG]

Thank you for the info. [​IMG]

6. Gerbil

Gerbil Oh, Crazy!

Jun 24, 2010
    Update: They HATCHED! The one I thought was dead was shrink wrapped, I cut open the membrane(At this point I was pretty sure he was dead) and he gasped! They are both happy healthy babies! 4 chicks total, the last egg died. [​IMG]

7. mlove

mlove Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2010
    tx
    Congrats on your new babies. We need photos!

8. Gerbil

Gerbil Oh, Crazy!

Jun 24, 2010
    Here is one of them!
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by