1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Serama eggs seem to quit right before hatch, whats the deal?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Nekhebet, Nov 6, 2010.

1. Nekhebet

Nekhebet Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    Erie
    So I've had a rough time hatching the last month or so. I do hatch in an LG incubator, but the only time it's spiked is the one time I told hubby to watch it after I turned it up and it killed 2/3 eggs I had on lockdown at the time....that was human error, clearly.
    But other than that, I've put in several pullet eggs from MY bird, and with the exception of the first, which was her first egg ever and very small (thus excusable in my mind), I'm only getting...maybe...50 percent on her eggs. They seem to get to lockdown or right before it, then just....die in shell. I have had three of her eggs hatch, and the chicks were healthy.

Last month I placed 15 breeder eggs in the incubator. Of the 5 that developed, I may get two, and I'm having to help one of them. *scratches head*
    Are late in the year hatches kind of suck? I also have some silkie eggs due next week, and of the five that developed, five are still growing and moving. I can't report on silkies, YET, but does anyone know why I'm having this issue with seramas?

The eggs were shipped from the same breeder, I don't know if that's a separate issue from my pullet eggs or not, but it's frustrating. I've also had quail eggs in here and there the past month or two, and had issues with hatch, but mostly due to shipping and vendors (smashed, cracked eggs, and one which exploded a week in!!!)

**Just wanted to add, in September I had shipped Seramas hatch 100 percent of the eggs that did not candle clear**

2. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    I've heard that Seramas are very hard to hatch out, and aren't always fertile.
    I've also heard that alot of people don't like the Little Giant Incubator, they say it has temp issues etc - [​IMG]

3. Nekhebet

Nekhebet Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    Erie
    Mrs. Fluffy Puffy :

I've also heard that alot of people don't like the Little Giant Incubator, they say it has temp issues etc - [​IMG]

It's weird! We don't really have problems with it spiking high, it occasionally went low last week, but since we were home most of the time we were able to keep it petty steady.
    And my first serama hatch went so well.....​

4. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Humm, I don't know. Maybe the Serama roos just aren't doing a very good job this season - [​IMG]

5. Brian

Brian Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2007
    Jacksonville, ORegon
    Mrs. Fluffy Puffy :

Not been my experience at all. My little hen Pearl just hatched out 7 of her 11 eggs (no incubating...she did that job for me). All 11 eggs were the first she's ever laid. She's only 5.5 months old. When I candled the 4 that didn't hatch, 3 were not fertile. So...in reality, 7 of 8 of her fertile eggs hatched. Not bad for a first time mom!

Brian​

6. Baralak

Baralak Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Not been my experience at all. My little hen Pearl just hatched out 7 of her 11 eggs (no incubating...she did that job for me). All 11 eggs were the first she's ever laid. She's only 5.5 months old. When I candled the 4 that didn't hatch, 3 were not fertile. So...in reality, 7 of 8 of her fertile eggs hatched. Not bad for a first time mom!

Brian

Seramas are just hard to incubate hatch period.. Remember I set 8, 2 were duds, 2 stopped right before pip, and 4 hatched... I was lucky with 1 roo and 3 pullets.. They are just a very hard breed to hatch out. Funny enough the smaller eggs out preformed the larger.

7. BHep

BHep Overrun With Chickens

Nov 20, 2010
    Faison, NC
    My first try with Serama eggs....2/5. Silkies 3/3.
    Second try 8/18, 13 went to lockdown and lost 2 babies three days after hatching.
    These were in a homemade bator.

I bought the Brinsea Octagon 20 ECO and I have 15 in lockdown now. 14 Serama & 1 Silkie. One pip since 5:30am. Heard someone talking in there, but nothing else.

I also set 15 more Seramas for the New Years Hatch. In the homemade bator for now until the Brinsea is empty, then I will transfer them over.

Also had one broody Silkie hatch 7/7 Seramas. I guess nature just does a better job.

Lets hope for better hatches. [​IMG]

8. Rainwolf

Rainwolf De La Menagerie

Aug 4, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    My Coop
    I'd watch your humidity
    To me it sounds like you may have to high (chick drowns in egg) or too low (have to help chick out of shell cuz they get stuck)
    Do you have a hygrometer?

9. Rainwolf

Rainwolf De La Menagerie

Aug 4, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    My Coop
    Oh and Serama's are hard to hatch in general and shipped is even worse...

10. Mrs. Feathers

Mrs. Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Quote:I agree sounds like it could be a humidity issue if they are gettng that close to hatching...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by