Serama Eggs

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by gsgosselin, Feb 12, 2017.

1. gsgosselin

gsgosselin Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2015
    Montgomery, Alabama
    My Serama chicken laid her first eggs in a "protected" box in the chicken run. She is not sitting on them though they are safe from the other 5 normal sized hens. But they are exposed to the elements. Can I move her eggs back into the nesting boxes and will she find them. She is aloof and not too friendly

2. N F C

N F C just blowing in the wind Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Some chickens aren't broody and won't sit on eggs. Do you have a rooster? If you don't, the eggs won't be fertile so they won't hatch even if a hen did sit on them.

If you have an incubator (or can borrow one) and the eggs are fertile, you might be able to hatch them yourself.

Thanks for joining us!

3. RodNTN

RodNTN Following Jesus

May 22, 2013
    The USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG] I am glad you joined us! I agree with @N F C , if she isn't broody she won't be interested. I hope you enjoy BYC, best wishes!

4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Hello from Kansas, gsgosselin, and [​IMG]! Happy you joined our community! I will defer to the experts in all matters incubating and hatching as I have very little experience. Here's a link the forum where questions of that nature can be answered: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/5/incubating-hatching-eggs
    Best wishes, happy hatching, and thanks for joining BYC!! [​IMG]

5. gsgosselin

Apr 11, 2015
    Montgomery, Alabama

6. gsgosselin

Apr 11, 2015
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I have two Serama Roosters. They were supposed to be a pair. But they weren't. So I got a hen that was older. I did move the eggs and took down the outside box where she laid them. I put them in a nesting box that the other hens have not used yet. I will check on them tonight to see where she is roosting. I hope she can find them in the nesting box

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    You may want to post as well, on the "Serama thread." How old is this hen? Have you asked if she has ever gone broody before?

8. gsgosselin

Apr 11, 2015
    Montgomery, Alabama
    This is the first time she has laid. I will probably wait to repost it to see how she does. I just checked on them. She is roosting with the others. I'm too new at this. Should she be on the nest? Only 2 eggs laid yesterday.

9. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under gsgosselin [​IMG] Welcome!

As the others have already mentioned, regardless of where the eggs are or how many eggs there are if your hen is not broody she will not be interested in sitting on the eggs. Broodiness is regulated by hormones and she will not sit on the eggs until her hormones say she should.

When you say “this is the first time she has laid” do you mean ever or just since you have had her?

If they are her first eggs ever, I doubt she is broody and probably will not be broody for a while yet.

If you have not had her long and these are not her first eggs ever but just the first eggs with you, again, because of the move and new surroundings etc, I doubt that she will go broody for a while.

For now, let her sleep on the roost and do her thing; if/when she goes broody you will know [​IMG]

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

10. gsgosselin

Apr 11, 2015
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Thanks. Yes she is young got her as a chick. Traveling Down Under is on my bucket list. Maybe one day.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by