Serama folks?

Funny how you get linked to a site that shows you what a Serama SHOULD look like! Do you incubate? There are people on here, me included, who can sell you eggs from some real lookers! If I hadn't chopped Cannonball's tail off (too big, weighing him down sideways), he'd be going to the Ohio Nationals! Darlene Thompson lives in Alabama. Serama breeder who has been selling off a couple of breeders lately on eggbid. Look for lingling on that site, and see what she has. Cannonball is from her stock.
chicken116.jpg

I'm a LF kinda gal. Just trying to learn as much as I can about breeds I wasn't raised with. I saw that ad this morning and was curious.

Thanks for the posts!!!

Just curious here - why is it that when a bird that is supposed to be a serama, but isn't posed like a serama in a picture, everyone thinks its a mixed breed, or otherwise "not a serama"? I've heard breeders talk about training their birds to stand like that, so surely they don't pose 100% of the time - couldn't that just be a bad picture of an untrained bird?

I doubt that Jerry trains all his birds. My rooster has good type anyway (not perfect but good). No, they don't always stand perfectly but they do carry themselves better than that usually.
36934_elegantlord.jpg

A good Serama has a proud tail. He should also have a MUCH shorter back than that!

Last edited by a moderator:
To add another opinion, I think that its mostly a bad picture.
Not the best bird, but let me explain.

He looks like a younger bird and probably not mature.
I have lots of young birds that dont strut and pose until they are 5 to 7 months old or given some pullets or submissive hens .
Then they really think they are hot stuff and show it.
tongue.png

When I have grow-out pens, I sometimes keep cockerels together. Only the top dogs in there strut, the others just stay mellow and out of the way as much as possible. We dont know where this guy is.....

Its really hard to judge sometimes from one picture, but we all do it. Sometimes here, when Im sorting through 80 birds (in person), I have to look at them a few times or really sit and study the young ones to tell much.
Its easier as they get older.
That's why I like selling birds at 12-18 months best, there's not as much thought and time put into it. They are all they are ever going to be at that point.

I rarely get to do that, only when I reduce my own stock, since feeding 80 birds for another year is not the smartest way to cover my feed etc etc etc costs for all the next batches. (And then there is all the space that you would have to have...)

ANYWAY here is my critique. I would love to have feedback.

I think this roo or cockerel has nice smaller, even comb and waddles, they will probably get bigger if he is young and you want them to be of a medium size
**a decent chest
** seems to have good wing length too
and I even like his tail. It doesnt look all the way grown out yet, but would prefer that he had harder, less curving feathers. He's a bit long in the back, but his big problem is that his tail bed is too long (adding to the back), that is one of the biggest faults to have on a bird.

For 25 bucks, I would ask for pics of the breeders (or go there!). They might have better birds available. If he would add to your breeding program give him a chance. I have seen WAY WORSE birds being bred, and Im sure someone could use some of his chest or wings in their program. Ive even almost culled some of my better breeders by not giving them a 2nd chance to age more, so I think you should always look again when they are mature.
Napoleon and Sammy are 2 that I was going to cull out of the keepers at 4 months and are much better now!
SummerSerama035.jpg

SammyandW015.jpg

I would be interested enough to see what else this breeder has, especially since they are trying to get their customers to know more about the breed. At least they are trying to spread information. Those are the kind of breeders that I like!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom