Serama gender?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by feyfey, Nov 15, 2016.

1. feyfey

feyfey New Egg

Sep 21, 2016
    Humboldt county California
    [​IMG]

This one's 5 weeks now and it's confusing me. It has a pink comb, but not red. It's comb isn't big, but it's there. Around the eyes looks pink, too, so I'm thinking pullet with pinkish skin tone. Feathers are rounded, feminine. Makes lots of different sounds. Not sure if that's more a boy thing

2. TheKindaFarmGal

TheKindaFarmGal Chicken Obsessed

May 4, 2016
    Somewhere in the Universe
    5 weeks is a little young to accurately tell gender. Not screaming cockerel at this point, but I'm a little suspicious of the pink comb. Please post pictures in a few weeks - a standing side picture in good lighting without anything covering the body is best.

Beautiful dog by the way!

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I am suspicious of the comb also. Seramas can show early comb development but more a pale orange color not, so dark.

BTW beautiful Aussie shepherd.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2016
  4. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck Premium Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    Need a side pic to be sure, but really looks like a pullet to me... Serama combs on the boys tend to be fairly tall and pop up quick...

5. feyfey

feyfey New Egg

Sep 21, 2016
    https://m.facebook.com/story.php?st...ocessed&notif_id=1479327731758531&ref=m_notif

I made this Facebook video public. Let me know if it doesn't work. It's footage of the birdy. It's siblings were eaten by a raccoon. I'm honestly going crazy with it following me everywhere. Advice welcome. I'm thinking I need to find it a friend.

But I'm so disheartened over the loss of the other birds (who were beautiful and raised by me from incubation!) that I don't want to get another young one. I'm thinking I'll probably have to, though, right? I don't think this one spends enough time eating now because it's always worried about where I am and what I'm doing.

The darn raccoon! It opened caribbeaner latches! Now I have combination locks on the coop.

Post script:thanks for the doggie compliments, I passed them on to Einstein :) For more doggie viewing, see her featured in video linked above.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2016
  6. TheKindaFarmGal

TheKindaFarmGal Chicken Obsessed

May 4, 2016
    Somewhere in the Universe
    If you only have one chicken, you definitely need to get at least one or two more. Chickens are flock animals and need company.

7. feyfey

feyfey New Egg

Sep 21, 2016
    I've found another chick for this one. They get along well, but it still gets intense separation anxiety when it's not with me or can't see me. It's only been a day and I've kept them inside. Should I keep them outside where they can't see me maybe?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by