Serama has protruding vent (?)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by JoanieMay, Sep 15, 2010.

1. JoanieMay

JoanieMay Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2009
    Woolwich, ME
    Poor little Molly, this protrusion is about 1/2", is deep red, has some discharge and bloody streaks. What can I do for her? This little girl lays shell-less eggs when she does lay an egg which is not often. She lays her eggs from the perch, and ofcourse they break when they land in the shavings. Her brest bone to her vent is red with a solid white spot where she would rest her chest to roost. I had no idea Molly had these problems, she acts fine, eats etc. I just picked her up and her undercarriage felt strange, so I checked her and found all this. Can anyone tell me what could be wrong, and what can I do about the protrusion, how can I help this little girl? Thanks for any help you can give me. JoannieMay

2. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    So sorry, this does not sound good at all. You could try soaking her in a warm bath then putting her by herself in a somewhat dark place for the rest. What you are seeing is probably a prolapse.

Good luck.

3. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I would clean her up well. I've never dealt with this myself, but I've read that Prep. H can actually be applied to the area, and often helps. Keeping her contained so she can't move around too much, and in a fairly dim area (to discourage egg production/laying) may help. I sure hope it does...poor thing.

4. JoanieMay

JoanieMay Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2009
    Woolwich, ME
    Thank you for your replies. I will try these, and will appreciate any other ideas to help Molly. I just feel so helpless because I don't know how to help her myself. Thanks for your help, at least these are things I can try.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by