Serama hatching --duds

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by doxies1, Jan 10, 2011.

1. doxies1

doxies1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2010
    West centeral Maryland
    To anyone with seramas. We are having too many eggs not start to develop. Is 7 hens to one rooster asking too much of the rooster.What do you think the optiamal ratio is for seramas?

2. RainbowBirds_of_a_Feather

RainbowBirds_of_a_Feather Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2010
    Maui
    Aloha,

I saw this on another thread I believe that it is 12-15 hens t0 1 roo for Banties. So I think that you are good to go. If they are just starting to lay give it a couple of weeks before incubating the eggs. You can also separate the Roo for a week to get him to get more eager. You know what they say the farther apart we are the heart grows fonder. Sometimes it could be the age. I had a young roo with young hens and when they came of age the pullets were laying but the boy was still behind. He just know how to do the motion. I also had old roo and young hen and there was no connection there either. So time may be your best bet. Hope this helps a little.

Hold on I fount the "thread", only one page but on the 5th post with more detail.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=219443

Last edited: Jan 10, 2011
  3. ruthless

ruthless Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Mount Vernon, Mo
    What is the size of your Serama rooster compared with the size of the hens? How old are the hens and the rooster? This info will help some of the more experienced Serama breeders give you an answer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by