Serama having a hard time swallowing/sneezing?

jadenburger

In the Brooder
Jan 31, 2017
Hello!

I just picked up three little hens from somewhere local, but just noticed that my favorite one is having a hard time swallowing/sneezing. She's only three months old, and every time I pick her up she closes her eyes and gulps... possibly sleeping or hard time swallowing? Would cracked corn be too big/ too much for a three month old?

Not sure how food maturing differs in Seramas vs. our other hens.

Thank you!

Welcome to BYC. Be sure and keep the new ones in quarantine for at least a month before adding them to your flock. Check her crop to make sure that it is not impacted or sour. It should be empty first thing in the morning or it she is not eating. Sneezing can be a sign of dust in the feed or coop, ammonia odors, and mold, but sneezing often is a sign of infectious bronchitis or MG. I would only give her moistened chick feed and maybe a little chopped egg with a tiny bit of plain yogurt for probiotics. Corn is not a balanced diet for any chicken--they need a balanced diet. Give starter/grower feed up to laying, then switch to layer feed. All flock or flock raiser can be given to all ages, as long as crushed oyster shell is always available to layers.

Back
Top Bottom