Serama hen attacked by others - one eye horribly swollen - help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by nobrainslesscash, Jun 7, 2011.

1. nobrainslesscash

nobrainslesscash New Egg

Jun 7, 2011
    My little black Serama hen had half her face pecked by her "friends", and they did a lot of damagel. She has peck wounds and one eye is swollen and looks just awful. She is eating and drinking, but there's infection in the site. What can I do to treat her? I have debrided the area and cleansed it with hydrogen peroxide and antibacterial soap and water. Also smeared neosporin all over. She is in need of antibiotics, but I don't know what kind to give her and she's so little - maybe half a pound. She is in isolation under a heat lamp; I am giving her mash mixed with yogurt and egg yolk.

Thank you for any help! We don't have many poultry vets in this area.

2. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    Sounds like you r doing pretty good so far. I'm not sure of the meds to give but giving you a bump so hopefully someone else can help you out and let you know what type of antibiotic and how much. Good luck and I hope she does ok! If you get the antibiotics I'm sure she will live through it if she keeps eating and drinking. Poor baby [​IMG] Kudos to you for taking such good care of her!

3. AyeUpChuck

AyeUpChuck Striving for Self-Sufficiency

Mar 7, 2011
    Beavercreek, OR
    I would continue what you're doing but no more hydrogen peroxide. Okay to do once but can cause further damage to living tissue. Use a saline solution to further flush and use the regular neosporin. She should be fine. You sound like a good caring hen [​IMG]

4. horsefreak

horsefreak Out Of The Brooder

Jun 5, 2011
    U doing good but maybe lower intake of egg yolks.Wipe it with a cold damp cloth or some thing, Should help.

Horsefreak
    xo

5. nobrainslesscash

nobrainslesscash New Egg

Jun 7, 2011
    Thanks all! I'm so glad to have feathered friends out there!![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by